Caliber and best factory rifle for Whitetail deer - NC

Creedmoor if deer size animals are all you are going to shoot (in or out of state). If you want something that can take darn near anything in North America without issue go with a 300 win mag. No such thing as too much gun for deer and you would be ready for anything else you might hunt down the road. Yes I know plent of people take elk with a creedmoor but there definitely are better options out there.
Very true, and you never know, there might be an elk hunt in the future. I would probably be OK with the 7mm magnum I have for that. So many options, it's hard to decide. Maybe I should just decide strictly on a deer rifle for this purchase and take the 7mm magnum if I go for any larger animals. Not an easy decision, just glad to be able to have the opportunity to purchase something else.

6.5 PRC would be slightly less recoil than the 7mm magnum right? The 7mm recoil doesn't bother me a whole lot but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to have a little less :). A heavier rifle might help too since I don't have to carry it far. I'm starting to not worry about rifle weight as much since I don't have to carry it far, and I honestly don't think that will ever change.
6.5 prc would be less recoil than the 7mm for sure. If factory ammo is a huge interest, the best choice is the .308, bar none - ammo can be had anywhere, low recoil unless a true ultralight rifle, accurate as they come and will kill anything in NC including some bigger critters in zoos 😅 There are a ton of great choices for what you are looking for. You just need to narrow down the bits that are most important to you. 😉

6.5 prc would be less recoil than the 7mm for sure. If factory ammo is a huge interest, the best choice is the .308, bar none - ammo can be had anywhere, low recoil unless a true ultralight rifle, accurate as they come and will kill anything in NC including some bigger critters in zoos 😅 There are a ton of great choices for what you are looking for. You just need to narrow down the bits that are most important to you. 😉
Yeah, I think it will end up being rifle manufacturer that hangs me up the most. I will probably end up going with the Seekins in 6.5 CM. I don't know how that would ever be wrong for deer hunting in NC.

I'm looking at the Seekins PH2 or one of the Bergara's for a deer hunting rifle. I'm open to other manufacturers as well, these two just seem to be highly reviewed. I'm leaning towards a 6.5 PRC, but a 7mm magnum might be more practical for ammo availability. I have a 7mm magnum and it's a great caliber for hunting, just though a short action might be good to have for a change. I'm a hold over shooter, I don't need to do MOA adjustments for 1000 yards for anything. Normally I shoot from 100-500 yards. I'd say 250-300 yards would be more normal. I appreciate any suggestions on caliber or manufacturer. Rifle weight doesn't matter much because I just carry the gun to a box stand, maybe walk 500-600 yards. I also do not want a muzzle break, bad on the ears when hunting. So recoil might come in to play for caliber selection, or maybe a heavier rifle. Thanks for any help.
I think and have seen any available cartridge work at the yardages mentioned. Yes, there are many where the presented shot has to be perfect. Of the two cartridges you posted I would go with the 6.5PRC because you already have a 7mm RM. I would suggest the exact opposite if you did not have a 7mm RM. You mentioned ammo availability and I factored that in. I'm a big Savage rifle fan and it would be my choice in a SS version (110 Storm). My suggestions for a short action "magnum" cartridge would be a 300WSM. For a short action "standard" would be 7mm-08 or .308 Win. I agree nothing may match all the latest "new" stuff being talked about in media and the internet.

If you don't reload, the Creedmoor is very hard to beat. The amount of factory ammo for it and the price compared to other cartridges in astounding. There is an excellent selection of "match" factory ammo for it too. This would allow for more fun time target shooting and keeping a sharp trigger finger, etc.
IMO, the Seekins PH2 is by far the better rifle. I have played around with the Bergara HMP before and it seemed toyish.

If you don't reload, the Creedmoor is very hard to beat. The amount of factory ammo for it and the price compared to other cartridges in astounding. There is an excellent selection of "match" factory ammo for it too. This would allow for more fun time target shooting and keeping a sharp trigger finger, etc.
IMO, the Seekins PH2 is by far the better rifle. I have played around with the Bergara HMP before and it seemed toyish.
That's what I needed to hear. The Seekins just feels more stout when you hold it and also when cycling the action. I've never shot either one. I just need to find a Seekins PH2, hunter green stock, in 6.5 creedmoor. Things are hard to find these days.

I buys rifles that fit with what I shoot most and that is 30 caliber rifles.I have 30 cal bullets I bought back in the 70's and still have many.
As mentioned 308 or 30-06 has been taking game since it came out and still takes many animals per year.
If you want to change things up a bit there is the 27 Nosler that has gotten my attention.Its a hot 270 and that 270 win is one of the best killers I have ever owned.
A lot of choices out there,enjoy the game.
Old Rooster

I think and have seen any available cartridge work at the yardages mentioned. Yes, there are many where the presented shot has to be perfect. Of the two cartridges you posted I would go with the 6.5PRC because you already have a 7mm RM. I would suggest the exact opposite if you did not have a 7mm RM. You mentioned ammo availability and I factored that in. I'm a big Savage rifle fan and it would be my choice in a SS version (110 Storm). My suggestions for a short action "magnum" cartridge would be a 300WSM. For a short action "standard" would be 7mm-08 or .308 Win. I agree nothing may match all the latest "new" stuff being talked about in media and the internet.
Thank you, will look at that Savage.

I agree with a few who already posted that the best bang for buck is the Savage Storm or Ultralight! Accuracy is better than many can shoot.
You have a 7mm Mag, so, 308 gets my vote by a long shot! It will absolutely do everything you need within the 500 yard range you mentioned.
Ammo is the easiest to pick up in a pinch as well since you don't reload.
Fills the gap!

I agree with a few who already posted that the best bang for buck is the Savage Storm or Ultralight! Accuracy is better than many can shoot.
I agree! Savage makes some awesome rifles that have a well deserved reputation for accuracy at a great price. they can be shockingly accurate actually. they now have a few rifles that rival Seekins in price and performance. For example Savage makes a very light rifle now that comes from the factory with a Proof carbon wrapped barrel.
Or you can save a ton of dough going with a Savage Storm or similar. I have 5 Savages.

not sure if this is in your price range , but it looks like a very nice rifle .it's about all top shelf pieces .