Caldwell shooting bench

Gunslinger1

I am looking for opinions from shooters that have these benches or have shot off of them. I am finding 2 different tables the sell. They weigh about the same one has a wood top the other looks plastic as well as a different design on how the legs mount and seat adjustments.

I am wondering if the additional cost is warranted on the more expensive tables?

Do the benches work well and are the reasonable easy to move around in a PD shooting situation or moving back from a target.

I have searched for this information and have found little discussion on how well they are liked.
Thanks,
Tim

I have and like the Caldwell with the plastic top. I think it is a good value. Looking at the wood top you mention, I don't see any value in it. About all you get is more padding in the seat, the wood top, and a little different design on the feet and the center hub. The feet, additional leveling on the hub, and wood top are not needed at all and would just add weight to something that is already quite hefty.

It would be very easy to cut a plywood top for the plastic one, if you wanted. The top only has 4 screws that attach a metal hub at the top.

The bench is actually well designed and will last a long long time. You can setup and take down in about 5 minutes. It is heavy though and even disassembled is not something you will want to carry far. It would be much easier to move the target than the table. It is not something you would want to move around much on a PD hunt. It would be nice mounted in the bed of a truck!

The table is very stable even for 800 yard shooting. It is almost like shooting from a concrete bench at a range. I have a 16 Ib. rifle with a 30" barrel that I shoot with a Bipod and that all fits on the plastic table.

I also have one of the Idleback shooting chairs recently reviewed here: Idleback Shooting Chair Review

It is great for portability. I have used it to hunt ground squirrels in alfalfa fields and it works great when you are picking up and moving around a lot. It is also much more stable than shooting sticks, gets you up off the ground so you can see to shoot and its so comfortable you could go to sleep in it. Every thing has its pluses and minuses though. The Idleback is not good for shooting in strong wind. Any wind that is strong enough to make you unstable while setting upright in the chair will obviously make the shooting arm of the chair unstable also. But I love the chair as I can just throw it over my shoulder with the sling, mover to the next spot and be shooting in 30 seconds.

Bottom line. I would get the Caldwell with the plastic top and put a wooden top on if wanted. If you want to move around a lot, look at the Idleback.

The Idleback looks awesome.... Is it as good as it looks?

Yes I move around a lot...and the Idleback looks perfect for what I like to do.

Thanks for the post.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts