Calculating angle of shot by yardage and alt

DropDead

Hello, this is my first post, first off great sight and wealth of information!​
I was wondering if there was any way to calculate angle of shot by using range info from a NON arc rangefinder and getting altitude with gps at shooting location and target location.
Surely thier must be away but so far my searches on the web have been unsuccessful, probably my phrase input.

Thank you in advance!

I just use a 10 dollar angle finder from ace hardware, just stick the magnetic base on the bottom of the barrel and it immediately gives you a reading.
RR

I've used the same method before. I've also put the meter on my range finder before too. I've also used a string attached to on of the mil-dot calculators. However, while each of those worked and was pretty cheap, if you can get one of the ACI that mount to the scope or rings or base, IMHO it's really the way to go.

I've used the same method before. I've also put the meter on my range finder before too. I've also used a string attached to on of the mil-dot calculators. However, while each of those worked and was pretty cheap, if you can get one of the ACI that mount to the scope or rings or base, IMHO it's really the way to go.

Thanx alot for input, and I agree that the ACI is the way to go, and one day I will probably purchase one, actually the version that also has the anti cant level on it aswell. But for the moment I was looking for a cheap alternative.

Here is what you need to do to find the horizontal distance by the method you suggest.

((straight line range)^2-(elevation difference)^2)^.5

most cell phone calculators are capable of this. Make sure you use the same units.

For example 1000 yards line of sight 600ft vertical equals 200yards vertical.

((1000)^2-(200)^2)^.5 = 980 yards

if you want to know the angle that is then take arctan(200/1000) = 11.3 degrees

I use my compass, it has a small bubble of air in it. I set it at 0 and lay the long flat on the barrel as it points to target and get a degree reading off of it. The bubble tells you the angle.

Here is what you need to do to find the horizontal distance by the method you suggest.

((straight line range)^2-(elevation difference)^2)^.5

most cell phone calculators are capable of this. Make sure you use the same units.

For example 1000 yards line of sight 600ft vertical equals 200yards vertical.

((1000)^2-(200)^2)^.5 = 980 yards

if you want to know the angle that is then take arctan(200/1000) = 11.3 degrees

Hey Thanks alot, i figured thier must be some formula. Thats a little complex for me but i did eventually get it right after i found parrethesees on a scientific calculator on computer, i got an answer of 979.79589711327123927891362988236 yards so i imagine i computed it correctly.
Very interesting, will be fun to experiment with while out target practicing.

I use my compass, it has a small bubble of air in it. I set it at 0 and lay the long flat on the barrel as it points to target and get a degree reading off of it. The bubble tells you the angle.

That sounds cool, i could use a new compass, could you point me in the right direction? lol no pun intented

Hey Thanks alot, i figured thier must be some formula. Thats a little complex for me but i did eventually get it right after i found parrethesees on a scientific calculator on computer, i got an answer of 979.79589711327123927891362988236 yards so i imagine i computed it correctly.
Very interesting, will be fun to experiment with while out target practicing.

Yeah, you did it right, I just rounded a little.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.