Caffeine versus Accuracy?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Muddyboots, Jun 15, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. therifleman556

therifleman556 Well-Known Member

Honest to God, I shot Sunday morning trap in high school with a guy who wasn't worth a pinch of $#it if he didn't have a good hangover. 15 to 18 sober, 22-24 when he was tuned up.

Remmy700 likes this.
  2. ATH

ATH Well-Known Member

I don't drink caffeine on days I compete. But for hunting, the caffeine is just a rounding error when you've got yourself worked up hiking around. I've got a bit of an advantage as my HR is in the 40-50 range from my serious running days...even with some caffeine on board a bit longer to settle and squeeze.

Once in college we showed up for a smallbore match and the other team was digging into the coffee and powdered donuts they brought as hosts. They offered us some which we politely declined. I've never shot in such a one-sided competition I almost felt guilty about it...

3. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

LOL! I also only sleep on average 4 hours a day.

Gregg C, SCSCHNUR and Remmy700 like this.
  4. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I am up by 0300-0330 every morning, and 0200-0230 during hunting season. I too do not like taking a dump in the woods.

18whlsrolin likes this.
  5. Remmy700

Remmy700 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Story of my life! Road beers get me there!

therifleman556 likes this.
  6. EllisonJ

EllisonJ Member

I hike my --- off to get to them. Last thing on my mind is coffee or beers. I never noticed a difference at the range. Usually a 2 cup a morning kind of guy.

7. Ts3

Ts3 Well-Known Member

If you’re already on a beta blocker, just plan your dose an hour or two before the range trip.

8. Toddm

Toddm Well-Known Member

From various sources/coaches growing up in competitive shooting do what your body is used to. If it's used to 2 cups of coffee do that, if it's used to no coffee do that. You're body acclimates to stimulants, more or less than your body is used to will have negative effects. Try to not drink any caffeine in the morning and you'll be shakey by lunch, drink a couple red bulls when you don't normally you'll have the same problem. That said ideally as a shooting competitor you're better off avoiding stimulants, but you can't do it the day of or day before a match. It has to be all the time.

There have been a lot of shooting competitors get in trouble for taking depressants/sleeping aids etc. To take the "edge" off shooting, even more for using alcohol for the same reason.

9. JASmith

JASmith Active Member

My experience is that keep to your normal caffeination schedule when doing serious shooting.

The normal fine tremors from caffeine are nothing compared to the withdrawal tremors one gets when skipping the morning coffee!

10. gollygee

gollygee Member

Try alcohol if you want to really screw up a day at the range, especially skeet.

11. Dell

Dell Well-Known Member

Man, I love my coffee too but have to abstain on load development days and group shooting. My heart rate increases just enough to move the reticle slightly on the target dot even when benched in solid. I’ve tested my theory. With no coffee, way more solid. I don’t even notice my heart rate. On high power match days, no coffee! I head to the coffee stand on the way home.

Cold Trigger Finger likes this.
  12. jhulsey2

jhulsey2 Member

Me too

13. CO_Guy

CO_Guy Well-Known Member

I'm from CO, and we call coors light, "water!" o_O

therifleman556 and Elkeater like this.
  14. goodkid1

goodkid1 Member

You are one of the lucky ones. As for me, I can watch my reticle jump 5 inches every heart beat when shooting beyond 1000 yards. I gave up coffee all together.

YZ-80 likes this.