Cabelas new "insider" method for selling scarce product (offensive)

I believe that as a business Cabelas has the right to do what they think is best for their company. If you don't like it then stop shopping there. Very simple solution. I luckily live within 15 minutes of a Cabelas store and have a friend that works in the gun department. And he has assured me that when AR's, ammo, and reloading components come off the truck.... that employees get first pick with no minimum on their purchase. I don't have a problem with them having first pick.... but if I'm limited to 2lbs of powder 7 boxes of ammo than I feel so should the employees. But I'm not about to go bashing a company or complaining to their customer service department. This is a supply and demand market. Deal with it. It will subside eventually. What bugs me is that I'm sure there are people out there that buy reloading components and dont even reload. Then they post it up on forums and find people that will pay any price for it.

Of course any company out there is going to do what they like. But what they do tells you about what the management thinks about you. I'm not a dictator and I don't have any control over it. However, many different companies have shown their hand with various devious tactics in this tight supply and demand type situation. The way customers get treated now will influence how those customers do their shopping later.

Right now, anyone needing supplies are basically beggars. We have to suck it up so that we can keep moving. Hell of an attitude you have towards all the millions of people who have just joined the ranks of gun owners. Not everything is panic buying, but the panic buying together with some things being done by the government hurts everybody. There is no need for glee on the part of the hoarders. There are plenty of very valid reasons that control when people enter gun ownership, which includes age, immigration status, financial means and last but not least, pending legislative concerns. Telling someone who just got their green card that they "should have stocked up before the panic" can be pretty stupid.

Its OK, I have less and less motivation to buy anything at Cabelas and when supply returns I will just deal exclusively with the online retailers who have been fair and have not employed preferential tactics. Grafs, Wideners, Sinclair, Midway, Powder Valley Inc have all been great, within the limits of supply.

I believe that as a business Cabelas has the right to do what they think is best for their company. If you don't like it then stop shopping there. Very simple solution. I luckily live within 15 minutes of a Cabelas store and have a friend that works in the gun department. And he has assured me that when AR's, ammo, and reloading components come off the truck.... that employees get first pick with no minimum on their purchase. I don't have a problem with them having first pick.... but if I'm limited to 2lbs of powder 7 boxes of ammo than I feel so should the employees.

. There is no need for glee on the part of the hoarders.

Hey, we agree on something!

There are few things that annoy me more than threads about where to find components devolving into inventory lists. Like:

"Yeah, powder is tough to get, good thing I bought 41 lbs of Varget, 16 lbs of H335, and 179 lbs of Retumbo back in december. Plus, I always hold on to 5 or 10 thousand 168 gr matchkings and a million or so 55gr fmj's. And 1.43 million large rifle primers."

Whether you do or don't, I really don't care. Nor is it a measure of your worth, social status, or "coolness". Unless you're looking to sell or trade it, its pathetic to post it.

Might as well post pictures of your hot wife, your genius kid's SAT scores, or that IROC-Z you had in highscool that you did some work on. You know, the one you used to beat Lamborghinis in street races.

Rant over

So you don't wanna shop at Cabela's anymore? THANK GOD!!!! One less person to have to worry about buying the products I want. You are the only one that doesn't seem to grasp the concept that they are doing what they think is best for them right now in the trying times. EVERYONE else that has posted here has said something HIGHLY logical as to the reasons why it is the way it is atm. YOU however have it in your head that Cabela's has done something sneaky when in all actuallity they have not. Wanna be mad at someone be mad at the ppl that purchased stuff to RE SELL IT for 6 times what its worth on the shelf. Not the organization that is trying its BEST to get any product on the shelves that they can to keep ALL customers happy. Id be VERY willing to bet that you are still gonna shop with the company anyway. Having worked retail my entire working life I can not begin to count all the " IM NEVER DOING BUISNESS HERE AGAIN" ppl that I see 2-3 weeks later

ARAMARINE. While Cab employees may get to buy as much as they want in THAT store the store where my brother works they are in fact limited to what all the other customers are limited to.

Westcliffe01, I really hope you reconsider. I'd hate for your loss of business to put Cabela's under. I like buying stuff there. mtmuley

Cabelas is also the local store for a lot of people, I'm glad to see Cabelas maybe trying to help their local customers as well as their online and catalog customers and it seems like a good way to do business to me but of course someone had to get his panties bunched because it just does not seem fair :rolleyes:

They are doing what they think best to get by in a very trying time just like all the other businesses. If you don't like what they are doing, which is explained and an apology offered right out on the website, I would suggest you take your frustration out somewhere else since we are all in the same boat right now. I've always found the company to be great to deal with and am going to up to a store they just opened in Grand Rapids that's within 30 minutes to return a pair of Irish Setter boots I bought last year for my Wyoming hunt and a little bit of hunting here when I got back. I got them out to start scouting for turkey season last week and the leather is splitting open and the soles are pulling away from the uppers on the inside of both of them. I'd bet I'll either get another pair for free or add on some money and buy a higher priced boot up there with no problem. If I don't I'll be very surprised because that's why I do most of my business with them. I'll be back on the thread to tell you about it if they don't do what I stated.

I await the account of your experience and I know that you will be left sorely disappointed as they only give you 90 days. Not to mention my experience of finding out that a lifetime warranty on Cabelas brand products means only one year. Yet another deceptive business practice. They have really peeved me off twice lately, a purchase from bargain cave of a holster in which the employee told me 90 days to return, it did not work, I go to return and they say no returns whatsoever. Anyone saying they have great customer service simply has not dealt with them in recent history, they have changed their policies completely.

Cabelas is also the local store for a lot of people, I'm glad to see Cabelas maybe trying to help their local customers as well as their online and catalog customers and it seems like a good way to do business to me but of course someone had to get his panties bunched because it just does not seem fair :rolleyes:

Have you heard the quote from old Abe about remaining silent? It may be good advice in this case..Cabela's is their local store.....their local national store that are only found in very large areas...is their local store...??? That makes no sense to me. Fair, carnival or bananza...call it what you want, but we all vote with our wallets and count one more no vote for me.

My buddy pulled out his smoker this year and found that the face plate was warped a bit so he called Cabelas to get parts, a week later a complete new smoker showed up with a return label for the old one. That kind of service is why I'll drive four hours to look a product at Cabelas, got excellent service from them over the years. But apparently it's more popular to cry on the internet :rolleyes:

WA Wa wa Life aint fair,the world aint flat, most polititions aint worth spit, capitolism is what it is and Cabelas aint perfect.
Things are so crazy people are paying $75(or more) a brick for 22lr and buying the last pound of powder and/or box of bullets off the shelf just because its the last one.
You can dislike those of us who had the forthought to stock in a few supplies but you can bet your *** we are not the ones depleteing the supply line right now!!!

Put you big boy pants on and get over it! Things are going to get a lot worse and the little bit of ammo you have aint going to be much use:rolleyes:

WA Wa wa Life aint fair,the world aint flat, most polititions aint worth spit, capitolism is what it is and Cabelas aint perfect.
Things are so crazy people are paying $75(or more) a brick for 22lr and buying the last pound of powder and/or box of bullets off the shelf just because its the last one.
You can dislike those of us who had the forthought to stock in a few supplies but you can bet your *** we are not the ones depleteing the supply line right now!!!

Put you big boy pants on and get over it! Things are going to get a lot worse and the little bit of ammo you have aint going to be much use:rolleyes:
+1

I have bought less this spring than I usually do by quite a bit. Still a few hundred $ worth of stuff between the 7stw and 300 rum, but I haven't bought anything for my other 9 rifles as I was already stocked sufficiently on them. Heck, I've even sent brass of a couple of times to people who needed it and sold a couple of bricks of 22"s off at 30 a brick to some poor sap who bought a pistol and then couldn't get ammo to feed it. I expect to PAY $30 a brick by the time they are in stock, so I will have made zip as I need to replace them eventually anyway.

When I made the discovery, they were not listing any smokeless powders. I waited a few days after I ordered to be sure that my order would not get cancelled like it had on some other sites. Then I posted the info on this board to benefit anyone who might not know this "trick". Unfortunately no-one else has posted more useable info like the stock numbers for primers because I am curious to see if something similar is going on with them too.

In the meantime, a small group of powders is listed for sale again, good.

Like one of the other posters said, we all get to vote with our wallets and feet. In current market conditions we have to take what we can get, but payback will be later. If Cabelas serves some of you well, thats fine. The only thing my local store has going for them is volume. Price wise they have not been competitive on anything, which is why I have never bought a weapon there.

I guess the next time the mortgage rates get jacked up, or sales tax increases we should just apply the same excuse that "they are just doing whats best for them"... Thanks. I'll skip when times are better.

When I made the discovery, they were not listing any smokeless powders. I waited a few days after I ordered to be sure that my order would not get cancelled like it had on some other sites. Then I posted the info on this board to benefit anyone who might not know this "trick". Unfortunately no-one else has posted more useable info like the stock numbers for primers because I am curious to see if something similar is going on with them too.

In the meantime, a small group of powders is listed for sale again, good.

Like one of the other posters said, we all get to vote with our wallets and feet. In current market conditions we have to take what we can get, but payback will be later. If Cabelas serves some of you well, thats fine. The only thing my local store has going for them is volume. Price wise they have not been competitive on anything, which is why I have never bought a weapon there.

I guess the next time the mortgage rates get jacked up, or sales tax increases we should just apply the same excuse that "they are just doing whats best for them"... Thanks. I'll skip when times are better.

I'm rather indifferent on Cabelas myself. They've always treaded me decently on components but the rifle I bought from last year needed a bunch of work and they weren't consistant on estimated trade value for the one I traded. I told them what I had and the #'s changed when I got there. I probably wouldn't have done the deal but I was already there and would have had to build the rifle otherwise so I did the deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.