Cabelas Krotos spotter

bowkill02

well I've never reviewed a product on here before but I just received a new tool and thought some of you may be interested in how I perceive it. if I missed anything feel free to let me know and ill try to post as much info as I can.
when I first set out to purchase a spotter I was convinced I would ultimately opt for the razor. there are endless review on the net and they seem to be battle proven. Also with the new model coming out the possibility of getting a scope at a reduced price was a real attraction as well. So off to Cabelas I went to actually look for myself, was this the scope for me. I was looking for a 60-65mm scope so the leupold 12-40 HD and the vortex razor 65mm were the two i chose to compare. Both these scopes were at the upper end of my budget.
Side by side these scopes were great. I liked the size of the leupold, but the clarity of the vortex was just more apparent to my eyes. But i really liked the size of the leupold. This was a lot of money to spend so I was torn, and the clerk behind the counter was starting to get annoyed. I saw the krotos and started asking questions about it, but surprisingly the man behind the counter knew very little about it. So I asked to take all three outside and compare them side by side.
WOW!!! the krotos is amazingly clear. that was my first thought. With the price being half of the leupold and vortex, now I was really confused.
to look at the Krotos it has a real sleek look to it, very crisp adjustments using the helical focus ring. it looks a lot like the new razors. It weights a few ounces less than the razor and still several ounces more than the leupold. Did i mention the clarity is phenomenal. Two months after i bought it i still don't know who actually makes the scope but it is very clear, and half the price of both the razor and the leupold.
The scope comes with a neoprene scope cover for protection, lens cloth and instruction manual in several languages.
Ive been doing a lot of glassing since I got the scope home and i continue to be impressed. I've spotted deer at well over 1000yrds and have had no issue spotting bucks from does. I've spotted bald eagles at crazy distances as well. I'm able to zoom in and out very quickly and the helical focus ring makes fast and crisp adjustments. The eye relief seems great to. the phone scope adapter I got is for a vortex razor and it seems to be made for my scope.
I know there aint a lot of info out there about this scope and im sure I'm not the best for reviewing this product seeing my lack of experience with spotter in general but for $700 I strongly feel this is a great scope.
I started out with the intention of spending $1100-1200 and wound up spending enough less that i was able to buy a new tripod, and keep money in the bank and still feel I got the best bang for my buck. Now i aint saying anything about Cabelas or there customer service because my review of those 2 wouldn't be as glowing but this scope with there name on it is worth some extra attention.
I hope my 02cents help some of you out there whom are looking at a purchase like i was, and if i missed anything in this review let me know, I'll clear it up right away.
Good luck

Bowkill,

Thank you for the review. I am somewhat in the market for a spotter at this point, so having read your review I will likely include a look at the cabelas spotters. I have had good luck with there bino's in the past-which I believe were made by leupold?

Again thank you for the review!!

Gary

Thanks so much for the review! I have been pondering this spotting scope but am not close enough to a Cabela's to lay hands on it and compare it to others. For having HD glass seems to be a pretty decent deal. Not sure who they are working with. Looks a lot like an Athlon Ares to me but that is pure speculation. Did you go with the 65 or 85 objective?

I went with the 65mm angled. i looked into the Athlon but like you i wasn't able to get my eyes on on either. the one thing i dislike about the Krotos is the neoprene cover. the provide a neoprene cap/cover for the eye piece but nothing for the objective lens. its not a deal breaker for me because i can fabricate something for it but im kind of skeptical of the plastic clip on cap that's provided. other than that i feel it is a great addition to my pack as well as my first real descent spotter. there is a 60 day return on it if you wind up not liking it

Thanks Bowkill. I have an 82 mm scope (Euro Instinct HD) but was looking for something lighter. I used the Razor 50mm compact last year for pack in trips. I am underwhelmed. Maybe I just have a subpar version but doesn't seem very crisp. Probably split the difference for weight and go with a 65 this year. I will be packing in at least two elk hunts this year on my back and looking to shave a couple pounds over my big glass spotter. Have been seriously considering the Krotos but haven't seen much feedback. The Cabelas 60 day back return policy makes it pretty easy. Think I will pull the trigger on one an see how it is. As for the objective cover, I am betting that if a person could find one for the Ares it would be a perfect fit.

Last edited:
I just bought the Cabela's Krotus ,after I called up their headquarters and spoke to a optics person asking the difference between the Intrepid and the Krotus. He said" Better coating" and a few other things about the prism in that "I'll get a sharper better image" ( He wasn't kidding) and said this was Cabela's response to the razor. They had a sale today plus an additional $75 bucks off for anything over $500 bucks. I paid $875 for the 20x60x85 . I set it up looking at a rocky mountain in Nevada high desert .I bet the mountain was 2 miles away and I think if I had the time I could count the rocks on it ! Thumbs up on the Cabela's Krotus

Took my Krotos out into the field today. I wonder if I'm asking too much from a spotter ? It was 50 degrees in high NV desert,shooting at paper target with splash type target. At 395 yards my 60 year old eyes could see some of the holes,but not on the normal paper ,and I could get focus clarity on 20x-30 but higher up to 60x was just fair. Thinking of returning it ,and getting a Athlon Cronus 12-36 power ? Better glass,smaller scope. Asking myself do I really need all that much more power if I can't get super great clarity on the higher power ?

Hey bowkill, you mind if I ask what phone adapter you said worked well? I just purchased the krotos 20-60x86 from Cabelas. Figured an adapter might be handy. Thanks

Hey bowkill, you mind if I ask what phone adapter you said worked well? I just purchased the krotos 20-60x86 from Cabelas. Figured an adapter might be handy. Thanks
Hey lummer3,
I got the c3-022-a from phone scope. That fit nicely on the eye peice for me. My scope is the 65mm, so it should be the same. I've been Taking some great pics and one vidio of a kill this year at 670 yard. Let me know if I can help anymore

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts