Cabela's Covenant 7 SFP 3-21X50mm Scopes

MajorSpittle

So I was at Cabela's and bought a couple of the Covenant 7 Scopes that were on sale for $250

Well then I researched them and found that they have issues with the 34mm scope tube being weak and crimping on the internals when rings are tightened which freezes the Parallax Adjustment :-(

Has anyone had experience with this? Is it just certain models like the 5-35X or the FFP models? Is there any remedy anyone has found?

Check on Opticstalk.com. There are real experts there.

"I have the 5x35x56 FFP on my RPRR to meet NRL Base class rules on $1050.00 price point. I have used it for 3 months now and ran it through scope tracking tests and it has worked flawless. It has very clear glass, good turrets but audible clicks could be better and it has a zero stop that I really like, parallax is good down to 25yds and I've ran it out to around 500 yds and it has been clear (it is rated to infinity) but I can't verify that, lol. The reticle can get very small at low settings and with my eyes I have to really concentrate on finding the center dot, this is my only complaint but I don't dial down past around 8 so I don't have a real problem with it. So far I haven't had a problem with it. As a low cost scope with these features I would purchase it again. I'm going to try it on my 6.5CM one of these days. I hope this answers some of your questions."

I just purchased a 6.5 Ruger Precision from a friend who was short on money. It had the Covenant 7 on it. As a low end scope, I'm impressed. He said he could keep it on 12" steel at 800 yards without any problem. I haven't tried it yet at that distance but at 100 yards I could see a fleas gonads that was on the target. Looks like a keeper. ESPECIALLY as a FFP scope which were always only high end.

So I was at Cabela's and bought a couple of the Covenant 7 Scopes that were on sale for $250

Well then I researched them and found that they have issues with the 34mm scope tube being weak and crimping on the internals when rings are tightened which freezes the Parallax Adjustment :-(

Has anyone had experience with this? Is it just certain models like the 5-35X or the FFP models? Is there any remedy anyone has found?
I purchase one at Cabela's in Ottawa, they had a problem zeroing the scope and used shims to zero it. When I got home I found that the parallax did not work. I loosened the rings and the parallax worked. Since then I mounted the scope on a new rifle with quality MDT rings and retorqued to recommended values and the scope works very well. I can hit 1.5 inch steel at 100 yards.