Cabela's Bow and Rifle Pack

m249

I was looking through cabelas the other day and saw this pack, it has a spot to hold a rifle was wondering if anyone has used this pack and how well it holds a rifle.

I bought one and used it for a week-long elk/muley hunt this fall. Overall I felt it was an EXCELLENT pack. Truth be told I did not carry the rifle in it very much -- I was in a high grizzly concentration and wanted access to my 300WM at all times. I did use that feature later for muzzleloading here in the midwest, once you get it adjusted to carry the rifle high enough it works just fine. One plus is that the rifle is held center of mass, which makes it carry well without balancing the pack for it. But it's just a little harder to get out. The external "day pack" straps over it and, as an additional benefit, protects your optics fully if you fall or something.

The ONLY negative thing I can find to say about it is that the waist strap was too big for me -- I'm one skinny guy -- so I could not get the weight to ride properly on my waist and with 60 lbs of elk added to my gear my shoulders were killing me after the 8mile hike out. I'll need to find a way to modify it for next time (or gain 15-20 lbs).

Thanks for the info an this pack, that is just what I wanted to hear. I have been looking at this pack ever since I saw it. I too am one skinnny man but im used to it so I think that I can easily modifiy it to work for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts