Cabelas (Boise) Gun Library Dishonesty

Brianc74

I was in the Gun library in Boise ID yesterday. Just looking around. I overheard to gun library employees talking. One guy appeared to be a manager talking to another employee. The guy who appeared to have longer tenure was describing how he found some damage on a Remington 700 rifle. That the damage had occurred while in there possession. He showed it to the other guy and described how he had altered the damage as to not be as noticeable and would me missed by someone not knowing Firearms that well. He was bragging in my opinion. He also stated that this would get the rifle sold probably before someone noticed the damage and since they had pics before the damage he could say the damage happed while the rifle was in the hands of the buyer. Supper dishonest! So guys and galls watch-out.
The guy bragging was Named Mike and the guy he was talking to was Scott.

Brian

To me. I guess it shows the direction Cabelas is headed with sales over customer service and honesty with sales. I just couldn't believe the boldness of talking about this stuff out in front of customers and just not caring. It was crazy in my opinion. This wasn't a cheap firearm. I believe it was a dangerous game custom shop Remington

I for sure will not buy anything from the gun library!

Brian

I would like to think I might have been bold enough to interrupt and say "show me that gun. I might be interested" just to call them out on it. But in reality, I probably would have just shaken my head and walked away.

The sad thing is if they were just honest with people about how it happened someone may not really care or just take a little discount off to sell it.

Nope, IMO just a really bad apple that can sour the barrel for all. Do what is normal, throw the bad apple away. I just had a pistol appraised at the Grandville, MI Cabelas yesterday and the appraiser "Jim" was very open and transparent on how he appraised the pistol, what the price would be if they were to sell it and why the offer price was at a certain price point. This is what I expect and what I got so extremely satisfied with the process. I really didn't expect a price that would excite me so no I didn't sell it to them. But I wanted to present there are good people out there in Cabelas and BP and not throw all under the bus.
BP also has an ethics hot line which I believe goes directly to the BP Corporate Legal Department. They do not fool around with these complaints and take them seriously.

The Outfitter Ethics Hotline allows submission of reports by two methods:
Phone: 844.783.5360
Internet: https://basspro.ethicspoint.com

Correction to how BP handles ethics complaints:
Outfitter Ethics Hotline Report Team
The independent company that services the Outfitter Ethics Hotline provides an email with the details of every report to a five-member Outfitter Ethics Hotline Report Team.

The Outfitter Ethics Hotline Report Team is staffed by persons in the following positions in Bass Pro Shops Base Camp offices:
1.Chief Human Resources Officer
2.Director of Human Resources Operations
3.Director of Human Resources for Retail
4.Director of Human Resources for HR Business Partners
5.Compliance Manager for Human Resources

Little disappointed that legal is not represented on this team but assume they get notified of potential legal concerns.

Correction to how BP handles ethics complaints:
Outfitter Ethics Hotline Report Team
The independent company that services the Outfitter Ethics Hotline provides an email with the details of every report to a five-member Outfitter Ethics Hotline Report Team.

The Outfitter Ethics Hotline Report Team is staffed by persons in the following positions in Bass Pro Shops Base Camp offices:
1.Chief Human Resources Officer
2.Director of Human Resources Operations
3.Director of Human Resources for Retail
4.Director of Human Resources for HR Business Partners
5.Compliance Manager for Human Resources

Little disappointed that legal is not represented on this team but assume they get notified of potential legal concerns.
Some diversity would be nice - an attorney and a member of the public. The Chief HRO can probably fire all of the others on this team (i.e. employment at-will).

A publicly traded company would have an attorney and an independent (public) on board for the third party overview but as a private they can do what they want. IMO there has to be non-HR involvement in these types of cases to insure credibility. I look at this and I see the fox watching the coop!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.