CA Ridgeline vs Tikka T3x

Not all Tikkas in the same calibre have the same magazine length.

I have two 6.5 Creedmoors and the both have different magazine lengths, which surprised me.
1 is a Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor Super Varmint and the other Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor Lite. The Super Varmint has the largest mag length/ chamber.
I had mistakenly through they would handle the same reloaded cartridge but this was not the case.
You'll want the M+ magazine for the Creedmoor. Earlier models shipped with the standard M magazine which allows a shorter OAL than the M+.

I bought my T3X 300 WM last spring just after they changed the twist rate from 1:11 to 1:10. It shot 1" groups right out of the box as advertised. I asked Steve Davis @ Hammer what bullet he would recommend d and he suggested the 174 Hammer Hunter loaded out to mag length (3.370") which is .200 off the lands as you mentioned. Using 76 gr. of H4831sc I
was able to punch .75" groups at 3050 FPS. It came with a by
brake and produces,ess recoil than my Rem 700 in 300 and my Mauser Bauer 3000 in .308 Win. I plan to use it for WY elk in 2022.

This is good news to hear that Tikka has changed their 30 caliber twist from 11" to 10", though this may not help the thread originator and an 11" twist may help to explain trouble with long bullets.

Maybe I will consider getting a Tikka if they bring out a 300PRC with 10" twist. All five Tikka's that our family has owned have been shooters, right out of the box, although I ended up bedding 3 our of the 5mostly out of habit. I couldn't be bothered with the 223 and my wife's 270 when they shoot so well.

As for recoil, it is simply something to adjust to. I've had two Tikka's in 338WM. They are excellent guns although I am often startled at the beginning of a shooting session by the extra jump that these lightweight rifles make. But it is such a worthwhile trade off. My son calls a Tikka 338 "the Wand", because he can hold it in one hand almost like a pistol. Carrying such a rifle is a delight, and the firepower of a 338WM is respectable. We like to load 225gn TTSX at 2835fps. One rifle used about 69 grains of Rel17, another with a large-cut chamber used 70.5 Rel17.

And hunters need to remember that in the field they will barely remember that the rifle fired. Recoil can be reassuring. Recoil in an accurate rifle lets one know that a hartebeest or an elk is going DOWN.

Have 2 Tikka's. First one was under .5MOA out of the box. 2nd was a .5 MOA rifle. Very happy with both. On 2nd and 3rd barrels respectively.
actions are smooth. Had bolts refaced for .062" firing pins, otherwise stock. Just shot a 1000yd match that yielded 3 shot groups of 4.11", 2.08", 1.34" and 2.56". Yes, the 5 shot groups were larger, but what I understand is that 3 shots is the equipment, 4+ is the shooter.
For what it is worth...

What twist rate is your barrel? I found my 1:10 doesn't like much more than a 200gr bullet in the 300 win. Have you tried a lighter bullet?

I worked up a couple different loads for my brothers tikka light in 300 wsm. Man those things are light. Settled on the 160 hammers shooting extremely accurate. My only complaint was the trigger which after measuring said 3lbs on my scale but felt like a lot more which made me have to focus a lot more than usual. I used a stocking hat over my shoulder at first and then broke down and bought a shooting pad

No experience with CA Ridgeline but have 3 T3s (6.5×55,30-06 & 338Fed)
Originaly had a Sightrom 3-9 mildot on this bad boy...altra lite T3 in 30-06. Real fussy on what it likes and so far all it likes is a 168 Amax/IMR4831 combo....seating depth is not as fussy but seams to like more jump than most.
IMG_20140920_174559-1.jpg

This configuation knocked my dumba$$ out twice before I put a longer eye relief Vortex scope and a better recoil pad on it.
IMG_1378.jpeg.jpg

cliffphone11-2017 010.jpg

Better but threading the barrel for a can was a REAL solution! Putting a brake on it was NEVER an option...lost enough hearing from them
thumbnail_IMG_0807.jpg

The Sweede likes everything and being a medium length case has a lot of room in the mag
The 338Fed has not been impressive with the 3 factory loads tryed and have not had time to work up a load for it. That and it came with a spacer in the mag= Quick fix

I personally would never put a muzzle brake on a hunting rifle. If a 340" bull or a 200" mule deer pops up at 50 yards in thick timber, I know there's zero chance I pass on that shot because my plugs aren't in.
OK Folks.Lets put this in perspective. I have hearing loss and I wear hearing aids. The hearing loss did not come due to muzzle brakes, it came from 30 years of small arms fire, (no muzzle brakes) heavy artillery fire (105MM and 155MM howitzers) as well as a lot of jet engine noise. Yes there is a bit of a bark from a muzzle brake and for sure definitely wear all the hearing protection you can when out on the range. I wear ear plugs plus Walker electronic hearing protection with or without a muzzle brake and shooting everything from a .22 rimfire to my 300 Mag. Keep this in mind, ear plugs and wearing a flight helmet or ear muffs did not attenuate the 120+ db noise level enough that repeated exposure over a period of time (30 years) did not take it's toll. However and I know some of you will argue, you always do...when hunting just as you don't notice the recoil of the rifle when shooting at that monster deer, elk or that big ole bear that you have ****ed off and now wants to make you dinner instead of the other way around...you won't notice the noise from one shot...oh...you missed two shots. Since it's not repeated on a constant basis in a confined area the chances of the noise damaging your hearing out in the woods, where maybe you are shooting only at 50 yards most likely will not cause the slightest bit of hearing loss as long as it is not constant. I don't know any hunters who wear hearing protection out in the field. I would rather be able to hear that deer walking around close to me than worry about something that has only an infintesimal chance of causing any injury. Since I usually only take one shot per animal, and I hope you do too nobody is going to have a major hearing loss over one or maybe two shots fired, muzzle brake or no muzzle brake out in the middle of the woods without baffles and whatever else there is between shooting points on your hometown shooting range to reflect noise back at you. If you have never shot competitively or been in combat in a fire fight you have no idea what muzzle noise is. Try shooting on a line with probably 20 others 10 feet to either side shooting at 200 or 300 yards rapid fire, or even worse when in combat in a fire fight where others are shooting at you and you have to defend yourself with idiots who do not know how to shoot firing their M-16s on full auto since they cannot selectively shoot and hit a target. Of course protect your hearing, especially on the range however keep in mind that when shooting a rifle with a muzzle brake you don't have hardly as much muzzle blast as the people on both sides of you. Be courteous and try to keep as many firing points between you and the next shooter when shooting with a rifle equipped with a muzzle brake. They will appreciate your courtesy.:(

OK Folks.Lets put this in perspective. I have hearing loss and I wear hearing aids. The hearing loss did not come due to muzzle brakes, it came from 30 years of small arms fire, (no muzzle brakes) heavy artillery fire (105MM and 155MM howitzers) as well as a lot of jet engine noise. Yes there is a bit of a bark from a muzzle brake and for sure definitely wear all the hearing protection you can when out on the range. I wear ear plugs plus Walker electronic hearing protection with or without a muzzle brake and shooting everything from a .22 rimfire to my 300 Mag. Keep this in mind, ear plugs and wearing a flight helmet or ear muffs did not attenuate the 120+ db noise level enough that repeated exposure over a period of time (30 years) did not take it's toll. However and I know some of you will argue, you always do...when hunting just as you don't notice the recoil of the rifle when shooting at that monster deer, elk or that big ole bear that you have ****ed off and now wants to make you dinner instead of the other way around...you won't notice the noise from one shot...oh...you missed two shots. Since it's not repeated on a constant basis in a confined area the chances of the noise damaging your hearing out in the woods, where maybe you are shooting only at 50 yards most likely will not cause the slightest bit of hearing loss as long as it is not constant. I don't know any hunters who wear hearing protection out in the field. I would rather be able to hear that deer walking around close to me than worry about something that has only an infintesimal chance of causing any injury. Since I usually only take one shot per animal, and I hope you do too nobody is going to have a major hearing loss over one or maybe two shots fired, muzzle brake or no muzzle brake out in the middle of the woods without baffles and whatever else there is between shooting points on your hometown shooting range to reflect noise back at you. If you have never shot competitively or been in combat in a fire fight you have no idea what muzzle noise is. Try shooting on a line with probably 20 others 10 feet to either side shooting at 200 or 300 yards rapid fire, or even worse when in combat in a fire fight where others are shooting at you and you have to defend yourself with idiots who do not know how to shoot firing their M-16s on full auto since they cannot selectively shoot and hit a target. Of course protect your hearing, especially on the range however keep in mind that when shooting a rifle with a muzzle brake you don't have hardly as much muzzle blast as the people on both sides of you. Be courteous and try to keep as many firing points between you and the next shooter when shooting with a rifle equipped with a muzzle brake. They will appreciate your courtesy.:(
Lol the dudette wearing hearing aids telling everyone note to worry about it! I love it. You're wrong…But that's ok. It's the internet and we're all entitled to our opinions on the internet!

Last edited:
How does a CA vs Tikka thread turn into muzzle brakes, suppressors, and hearing loss?

For the money, I have never been around a CA that delivered the bang for the buck paid. Most Tikka's shoot extremely well if fired within reasonable parameters of pencil thin barrels.
Tikka has a customer service, it may not be the most timely to some, but they fix their products and solve problems.
CA on the other hand, I have never heard much good regarding their CS, then again, their product line interests me so little, I do not pay attn to much concerning the company.

Lol the dude wearing hearing aids telling everyone note to worry about it! I love it. You're wrong? But that's ok. It's the internet and we're all entitled to our opinions on the internet!
Hey Ucsdryder, first of all I am a dudette not a dude. My hearing loss occurred over a long period of time, some 30 years serving my country so everyone, including myself as well as you have freedom of speech and even make any stupid or disparaging comments we care to make. By the way, don't forget your ear plugs while hunting. I'm sure that whatever game you are intending to shoot will appreciate it since you cannot hear them coming. By the way soldiers only wear hearing protection when on the range or in other noise intensive areas. We don't wear them out in a combat zone or on guard duty because we want to hear what is going on around us. The life we save may be our own.

Attachments

• 1457110045105-c6.jpg
    1457110045105-c6.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 61
While most noise-induced hearing loss results from continuous exposure to loud sounds, even a single gunshot blast can cause permanent damage. Terry said everyone within earshot of gunfire should make it a habit to wear hearing protection.

"A single blast can cause lasting hearing loss and tinnitus," she said. "Once the damage is done, there's no taking it back."

"Gunfire is about the worst thing you can do to your unprotected ears," said Susan E. Terry, Au.D, an audiologist and owner of Broadwater Hearing Care in St. Petersburg, Florida. "Gunfire is impact noise and is more of an assault on your ears than a constant noise would be. Anytime you've got impact noise, you're going to have issues."

There are a few hundred more articles to prove my point but let's be honest, no matter what you read or hear your mind has already been made up.

Hey Ucsdryder, first of all I am a dudette not a dude. My hearing loss occurred over a long period of time, some 30 years serving my country so everyone, including myself as well as you have freedom of speech and even make any stupid or disparaging comments we care to make. By the way, don't forget your ear plugs while hunting. I'm sure that whatever game you are intending to shoot will appreciate it since you cannot hear them coming. By the way soldiers only wear hearing protection when on the range or in other noise intensive areas. We don't wear them out in a combat zone or on guard duty because we want to hear what is going on around us. The life we save may be our own.
Focus, Tikka vs CA, not ears

Recent Posts