CA Ridgeline time between shots

Freshta

Just bought a CA Ridgeline in 7mm RM from a friend and I have a couple questions.

I've been shooting Hornady Precision Hunter ammo. The first 2 shots of the day are dead nuts bullseye every time at 100 yards. My third shot always ends up right and slightly high, but not by much. When I measure the group, it is roughly .75" every with the first 2 shots touching. Every shot after this hits right and slightly high and the group opens up to around 1-1.25". Is the barrel getting too hot? Am I overlooking something else?

Thanks,
Tony

Sounds like the barrel is heating and starting to walk. A 7MM RM can heat a barrel quickly. I have one in a hammer forged sporter weight that walks easily if I don't let it cool enough.

What's interesting is the Ridgeline has a carbon fiber wrapped barrel, right? They are supposed to be somewhat immune to that. the carbon is supposed to make them extremely stiff. I would take the first two shots wait an hour, shoot another, wait an hour and shoot another. That should let you know if it is walking.

It's a bedding issue. The ridgeline stocks are cheap. It needs to be opened up and fully bedded. That will solve the stringing. If you wait 10min in between 2 shot strings it will shoot. I recommend replacing the stock. Stockys manners or any of the sort

I should mention that it is in a Stocky's carbon fiber stock and has been bedded by a gunsmith/precision rifle shooter.

Myself and a friend both had the same issue with a ridgelines. New stocks and a good bed job and they shoot great. That's weird that yours strings. Sounds bound up to me. How far is the bedding past the recoil lug?

Just double checked...Bedding is all the way into the recoil lug but not in front of it. Just did the dollar bill test and the barrel is free floated all the way back to the lug. Action screws are torqued to 65 in/lbs and blue thread locker is used.

One thing I did notice is that the magazine has no play in it at all. I know my Remi's have a little play in them.

It has to be bound up somewhere. It's not a coincidence that most ridgelines do this til they are relieved and properly bedded.

One last question...I distinctly remember watching a vid somewhere about bedding a Remington rifle and one of the things they guy stressed is that the magazine needed to have a little wiggle room and some play and shouldn't be too tight. Does anyone think this may be causing my issue? It seems to feed ok.

It could. That's what pillar bedding is for. To make sure the action has a stress free fit. Most reputable smiths will pull pillars and install new ones custom to your setup. That's why they charge a arm and leg to do it. It's quite the process.

Don't go panicking! The Ridgelines shoot fine the way they are bedded. Right now you are at the mercy of your factory ammunition. It may be all you're going to get from that particular factory load. The first thing I would do is call Christensen and ask them what ammunition tested best in your particular chambering. Then test it. If it still doesn't perform, resort to changing things.

For right now, check to ensure the magazine box is seated properly, torque the action screws evenly, and make sure the scope base and rings are tight.

I have seen plenty of Ridgelines shoot under .5 right out of the box but that is irrelevant since his is bedded into a Stocky's. When I replaced my stock with the Stocky's I had to grind the mag box .020-050" to get enough clearance for it to not bind.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.