CA Ridgeline barrel break in

Paisano

For those of you that have tried the Christensen Arms Ridgelines......I've read the company recommends about a 50 shot barrel break in procedure. When you followed it, did you notice accuracy improvement after the 50 shot break in? Or, was accuracy acceptable right out of the gate? Thanks!

The one we are currently working with did not shoot well at all until we got about 70 down the tube.

I barely have 50 rounds total through mine, the attached pic is from first few shots using Nosler ABLR box ammo at my 300 yard zero.
47C57B0E-34BC-435B-965D-8EA7BDE4713B.jpeg

I am working on breaking in a 7 mag myself only 20 rounds so far with box ammo. I'm going to try 150 grn. Partitions and h4831sc. And H1000

I didn't break any of my Christensens in with any process. I cleaned them after pulling them out of the box and again after the first 15-20 shots. In fact, the first three 215 grain Bergers from my 300 WM Ridgeline after bore sighting went into the same hole at 100 yards and it's been great ever since.

20180302_123344.jpg

Broz took several critters at ranges approaching 900 yards in his first box of factory ammo with his 6.5 PRC Ridgeline. If you feel like you need to do a break in, by all means do it, but you don't need to do it to achieve excellent results.

http://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/...-5-prc-ridgeline-hornady-147-eldm-report.html

Last edited:
My only concern would be if you dont follow there recommendation and you have a problem may void any warranty if there is such a thing.

They would never know. You are not actually breaking in the barrel you are "breaking in" the chamber. You are just getting rid of burrs. I usually shoot one clean until the patch is noticeably less black after the one shot. This is almost always 5-6 shots. Then I move on to load development and clean as needed.

My Christensen barrel shoots great. I did a 1 shot clean x5 3shot clean x5 and a 2 10 shot and clean and called it good. Shot very small groups from the 2nd shot on.

They would never know. You are not actually breaking in the barrel you are "breaking in" the chamber. You are just getting rid of burrs. I usually shoot one clean until the patch is noticeably less black after the one shot. This is almost always 5-6 shots. Then I move on to load development and clean as needed.
As long as you didnt inadvertantly say any thing. On a properly lapped barrel all you are doing is firelapping the throat. I let the barrel tell me how often to clean. Usually the blue is better after 6-10 shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts