CA BEAR/DEER COMBO

We love to hunt X9b but none of us drew a tag this year so just over the counter tags in D13 this year.
A few years ago they banned the use of dogs for bear hunting so there are quite a few more bears. They don't like to advertise it but the DFG(renamed to DFW, W being wildlife) has taken out a lot of problem bears that get to the nuisance stage near homes. Kind of ironic that they make a move to protect them then have to kill them because there's too many.
So how did you do? I came up short on OTC Deer Tag in zone D-3 but I'm still hunting Bear in X6b where I live. Saw fresh track and droppings last Sunday, getting closer to feel that tag.

Will be heading up the mountains with both a bear and deer tag this fall. As I only plan to take one rifle on this backcountry hunt, I wanted to get your opinion regarding the ideal caliber rifle for this dual hunt? I want an ethical kill for the bear, but also dont want overkill for the deal. At the moment, im leaning towards my 308, with 168 gr. Nosler E-Tip (CA lead-free law :rolleyes:) with muzzle vocality at 2820. What do you guys thing?
How did you end up doing? I'm planning a similar trip this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.