Ca approved bullets?

I just started using Barnes recently, not because I'm in California but because I found they were giving me good accuracy. I'm happy with them, but don't have any experience hunting with them.

That said, I don't trust CA politicians. They've moved the goal posts before, and I fully expect they will find another way to hinder or completely stop reloading in the future. Simultaneously, they will tax ammunition and reloading supplies out of existence.

Their interest is not honestly in protecting CA condors or others in the food chain, it is in making it impossible for residents to shoot anything at all, and eventually make it pointless to own firearms.

This same approach is being tried on a national basis, but the proponents of this effort are years behind CA.

If you want to shoot, and to reload, you will not find a welcome in CA.
I reload and shoot most weekends here in CA and I welcome you. You should be more concerned about how Nevada's been voting...

Hammers then Barnes TTSX.

Last edited:
Which mono are you using? The Hornady ELD-X is great bullet for what it is intended for. Its intended to work great for the medium to longer range hunting space. It is a cup and core bullet with a lead core and a small internal locking ring. Its designed to mushroom at lower velocities than typical copper/lead bullets so it will kill efficiently at longer ranges.
OP needs lead-free.

So Sorry Buddy, Zero experience with No Lead Bullets. I am paying attention to the excellent responses to your question!!!

Hammer bullets are my first choice then Barnes lrx and ttsx are next.
Haven't used the Hammers. A buddy uses Barnes exclusively for hunting. Since reloading is now going to be a forever thing for me I am casting about for good ones to use. While we aren't forced to use CA approved. I am impressed with what I have heard about the CBBs from several folks, and I am going to give them a whirl.

Can you cite anything to substantiate that? I'm actually really curious about this, and not trying to be combative or start anything here. My LEO relative and I were discussing this very issue recently, and I think I found some evidence to the contrary:

I don't think that Perrigrine Monolithics has been mentioned. Barnes, Cutting Edge, Lehigh Defense, Nosler E tips... all very good choices. Dont forget that if you carry a sidearm, it better be filled with non lead as well.

IMG_7373.PNG

Last edited:
Its more a "better safe than sorry" situation. I really hate to use that term, but its up to what personal risk/b.s. you are willing to put up with. I've consulted a few wildlife offices and they said they could say that the weapon was being used as a hunting weapon. So I definitely see where you are coming from, but personally, I don't want a hunt to end sooner than it needs to, even if I'm "lawful" at the end of an investigation. I'd rather not have to deal with any b.s. while I wait to hear their judgment.

I totally understand where you are coming from Spike. I just wish I had the backbone to stand up for my rights more. But this is still CA, and they don't like to "debate", especially while in the field, their field..

Opinions out there for types of bullets for hunting Elk, deer, antelope? Just starting the reload process, and the no-lead for CA...
Good Day,

I live & hunt in Alberta, Canada. I could be wrong but, to date I am currently not aware of any "No Lead" requirements for Big Game hunting. However, there IS a No Lead requirement for hunting Migratory Bird with a shotgun in Alberta, Canada.

I would do a little more research on the hunting requirements for Canada, so you can confirm whether there is a No Lead requirement for Big Game hunting here, then you can develop loads with your most accurate & efficient bullets.

Regards,
MountainCat

Go with Hammer bullets. All copper, easy ro get an accurate load, great terminal performan
Hammers! I recently worked up a 181 Hammer Hunter load for my .300 WSM. I had a .5 MOA load in 12 shots. Their accuracy is amazing. I have not used them for hunting yet, but I have no doubt they will perform well on elk out to my 700 yd limit. Plus, they were delivered 2 days after I placed the order.
Another vote for Hammers! I'll mirror what Bull_Mtn said. I have not shot any game with them yet and currently work up a load for a new rifle. But delivery 2 days after placing an order...THAT is customer service! Something tells me they're going to be my new bullet in all three of my hunting rifles.

Next year the CA approved load will be a Primer and multi colored cotton ball only, no metal projectile
Nope, a nerf gun at best. A kid got suspended from skool for pointing his finger like a gun.
In the interim, depleted uranium is lead free and almost twice as dense as lead.

On a serious note, you might want to try GS Custom bullets. Long track record in Africa and now available in the US. Their banded bullets have a lower friction and can be loaded a bit faster for the same pressure. They claim 80% retention and have high expansion.
Have a look:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.