buying savage ladyhunter for wife...308 or 7mm-08 (not long range)

Bigeclipse

All,
I will be buying my wife a Savage Lady Hunter as a backup rifle to her semi-custom savage she already owns. Her semi-custom savage is shooting 140grain nosler accubonds in 7mm-08 and right near max charge with the loads I worked up. The catch here is her rifle weighs in at 8lbs 9 ounces with scope due to the "heavy sporter" contour we went with for building it. She likes lighter rifles and this one is just a touch on the heavier side for her. The savage Lady hunter will likely be in the 7lb range when finished with scope so will have a smidge more in the felt recoil do to that alone. My question is how much more felt recoil would there be if she stepped up to a 308 shooting maybe 150grain bullets in this Lighter weight rifle? She is not recoil shy (especially during the hunt). She has shot my bigger rifles and although she dislikes how they kick her shoulder at the range she does not flinch at all with them. Im thinking the 308 for a few different reasons, readily available over the counter ammo, bit more power should she ever want it for whatever reason, and honestly...last reason is partly do to greed as I might take the rifle out myself. I held one at the shop and it was so cool how small the thing was and actually did not fit me half bad (I am a smaller guy). I am afraid though that she will not like the recoil at the range (again she would never care during the hunt....who does?)

I'd stick with the 7mm-08. first, you already load for it, so why worry about shelf ammo? second, recoil would be more especially with hand loaded ammo that's probably going to be on the higher side of the loading table. If it's not a long range hunting rifle, and you're worried about range recoil issues, maybe think about a brake, that'll make either option totally worthy. You also have hearing pro all the time at the range, so it won't be an issue with the noise from the brake. I built my wife a heavy savage 260rem, and with a suppressor, it barely nudges her at the range.

I'd stick with the 7mm-08. first, you already load for it, so why worry about shelf ammo? second, recoil would be more especially with hand loaded ammo that's probably going to be on the higher side of the loading table. If it's not a long range hunting rifle, and you're worried about range recoil issues, maybe think about a brake, that'll make either option totally worthy. You also have hearing pro all the time at the range, so it won't be an issue with the noise from the brake. I built my wife a heavy savage 260rem, and with a suppressor, it barely nudges her at the range.

This will not be a range gun. Just a hunting gun. She will only use it to sight in and then to get Bambi/black bear

I agree!

This will not be a range gun. Just a hunting gun. She will only use it to sight in and then to get Bambi/black bear

It makes more sense to have the heavier rifle to be a range rifle/back-up ... but that's just me.

Felt recoil is just that, it's personal in nature, every one reacts to it differently.
It's just a calculated guide but try plugging in your numbers and see the difference what your wife is shooting now and rifle X ...

Recoil Calculator

308 is bigger so better for a woman because the bigger bullet will alow more room for error with shot placement .

I've seen a few of these rifle come in and they do recoil, if you running lighter bullets in a 7mm or 308 for recoil purposes I would buy the 6.5 Creedmore, same low recoil only your using the heavier higher BC end of things which just work way better in a hunting situation!!

I agree big, I broke in and did load development for my friends 7-08 and that thing was snappy with 140gr. Plain jane sav 10 adl topped with a Sightron SI 3x9, talk about lightweight and a tack driver. It eats everything I load for it, not only that but it puts'm all in the same dang hole.

Mid-range work the CM is hard to beat.

if you not gona go long range why dont you go for the 8mm mauser aka 7.9x57 ? fantastic for the ranges you are after and it is much more capable against the black bear ( dangerous game ) than any of the callibers you mentioned specialy when you are close in and not shooting long range. its not popular over there in the USA but its verry popular in europe and the rest of the World for hunting wild boar ( tough animal ). and l think you can never go wrong with a 30-06. l dont think any of these rounds have hardly any recoil. wimmen easyly hunt with 12 guage shotguns as long as thay know how to actualy hold a gun.!

EDİT : Bears can be very dangerous specialy if you gona hunt them from close range. just walking in the forest with bears roaming in it is risky anough. in a situation where a woonded bear or a very angry bear is charging me l would rather have the 8mm mauser with me than any 6.5 mm bullet. in situations like that adrenalin rushes so much that aiming becomes a problem thats if you have any time to aim through the scope. and how calm can most woman be in that situation to calmly but rapidly shoulder the rifle and aim down the barrel like you would a shot gun and hit a vital area to stop the animal dead ? thats why bigger bullets are better in them situation because it alows alot more room for error. the 8mm mauser is a fantastic choice for situations like that. and it is very capable of killing deer sized game out past 500+ yards easyly.

PS: you could also think about buying her a .17 or a .22 rimfire singleshot if she doesnt let you hunt too often. LOL

Last edited:
308 is bigger so better for a woman because the bigger bullet will alow more room for error with shot placement .
Did you really just post that?
I ran an outfitting business for a few yrs, never had to track an *** shot critter with a woman hunter. Tracked stuff for days for big he men though.
Most women that shoot scare the crap out of me. Most women hunters are pretty deadly and pull way fewer bonehead moves than men.
Ever heard of Michelle Gallagher?

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/michelle-gallagher/

Did you really just post that?
I ran an outfitting business for a few yrs, never had to track an *** shot critter with a woman hunter. Tracked stuff for days for big he men though.
Most women that shoot scare the crap out of me. Most women hunters are pretty deadly and pull way fewer bonehead moves than men.
Ever heard of Michelle Gallagher?

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/michelle-gallagher/

TURE ladys that can shoot can shoot beter than most men. but read about my post on the top about chargeing bears and wimen tend to get frightend and verry nearvous in situations like that

TURE ladys that can shoot can shoot beter than most men. but read about my post on the top about chargeing bears and wimen tend to get frightend and verry nearvous in situations like that

Pretty sure most men get nervous any time a bear is charging them. I have killed a few with a bow and its always butt pucker time heading into dark timber after a bear that may or may not be dead with nothing but a stick and string.

Pretty sure most men get nervous any time a bear is charging them. I have killed a few with a bow and its always butt pucker time heading into dark timber after a bear that may or may not be dead with nothing but a stick and string.
:D admire your courage mate. pretty dificult not to throw the rifle on the ground and try and out run the chargeing TEETH and CLAWS of DEATH :D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.