Buying gear to start...suggestions??

ATH

I wasn't going to start reloading for awhile but I can get the gear 25% off so I guess it'd be dumb to wait....
I'll be reloading for a 300WM. I've decided on a Rock Chucker press, but beyond that I don't know specifics. I know you can get a kit, but it's been suggested to me not to get the kit and get better individual components. Soo....
Suggestions?
Sizing dies? What resizing method to use?
Other accessories?
I'm totally new at this having only done shotshells until now...
Thanks!

ATH,
This is one of those questions we see all of the time, such as "new to LRH, what kind of shooting rig should I get" or "what kind of ranging - mil-dot, LRF, or both...." you get the idea. It depends, which is usually the answer to the other questions too... not trying to be rude here! It's just that if you had a budget to spend, or a goal in mind - such as the most accurate ammo possible no matter the cost of equipment or time - or I want Speed and Accuracy, but can't stand tedious things like case prep, weighing powder with scales, etc. If you were to lean towards the BR kinda setup, I can help with some suggestions, I don't own and have never used a progressive (speedy/fast) press, so can't help you there.... I would also suggest the Search function for reloading dies/suggestions - Redding or FL vs. Neck Sizing are good topics to search for.... just depends on what you are trying to accomplish!

EZ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ATH, dont know how far you are from Osseo,but the VHA is having its midwest regional shoot there May 6 at the Hillsdale Rifle Club.Its not a long range shoot(200 yds),but would be a very good place to pick up some tips even if you decide not to participate.

Good choice on the press, I like them very much. I have heard great things about the Co-Ax as well. I bought the RCBS kit when I first started, it was plenty good enough to start my adventure. The reading material was informative and easy to use, and my first set of dies were RCBS 308win. I have learned over the years to buy Redding dies because of their cocentricity and uniformity. The RCBS hand priming tool was a great purchase as well. I recently primed 1000 cases while watching a movie from my recliner. A case trimmer will be necessary to shorten those magnum cases after a few firings. I have the RCBS Manual trimmer but just about any will do.

I have since upgraded my equipment as needed and as funding became available. This way I could start reloading with what I had and learn what I liked and didn't. I also learned what slowed me down and what equipment was needed to speed that portion up.

My best piece of advice is to stay away from Lee, it's ok for the average shooter, but lacking the sophistication and repeatability required for long range precision shooters.

I already have a Lee priming tool to prime 25 ACP cases for my ML....I assume I can use this as it's a pretty simple operation....

Is a tumbler necessary or mostly cosmetic?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts