Buying a new Vehicle

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Anyone buy a new vehicle lately???
I'm sure other members would be interested in this Post.

I see the prices are skyrocketed and low inventory on vehicles.

Jill was driving home late night from my spinal surgery and some illegal aliens hit her front passenger. They were scrambling like cockroaches in the dark when a light is turned on trying to get their car running and turned away from Jill. HIT AN RUN. Didn't care if Jill was hurt. They took off leaving her stranded. Police finally came and took all night till the next morning for Jill to get a ride from the Tow to our house.

BTW Police were GREAT helping Jill. It was storming out, she just left me in the hospital and was frantic being smashed into and no one to help. The police also said good luck even if the other person is caught. If they are Illegal and no insurance DL they just let them go per immigration policies.

Just got notice from our Insurance and the vehicle is Totaled. Huge loss. Insurance does not take into account how well you kept the vehicle, just what the computer sates it is worth. Have USAA and they are GREAT for customer service but can only do what the market dictates.

Had 100K miles so I did a complete make over on it. Just put $4K into new tires, brake pads, rotors, calipers, new fluid, spark plugs, coils, fuel injectors, trans fluid flush, coolant flush, oil, and all filters. Paint was exceptional with machine wax over the clear coat. My vehicles are always like new. Did all the work before I went in for surgery so Jill would have a basically new vehicle and not worry about anything if my surgery doesn't work out.
Now have to buy another vehicle.

Any thoughts on why vehicles are so high and what is a good deal or vehicle to buy. This one was a Pathfinder, before that was two Subaru Outbacks, also had several Ford Escapes as my company vehicles, but never like the Escapes.

Looking for a SUV Type for Jill. We already have a Nissan Frontier (2005 old but good shape).
Maybe just get another Truck since Jill likes trucks also.

Costs are a big factor since I am disabled and we lost so much in our IRAs and 401k since Brandon got in.
Also need to buy one fast since out rental vehicle is running out from the insurance policy.

Thanks
Len & Jill

I find using Truecar or Kelly Bluebook will get you in the ball park as to what is a fair or exceptional price on a vehicle to purchase within your area. I have used this resource for the past couple or saw vehicles I have purchased with the latest being last week.

So sorry to hear about your health condition and the unfortunate happenings with your wife. I hope and PRAY all turns out well and this is just another small bump in the road. Take care sir.

I don't know which vehicle to recommend to you, everyone has their preferences. I have a dodge Cummins as my daily driver. I drive a lot, looking at buying another small truck so I don't put so many miles on my baby. I'm looking at the Chevy Colorado or GMC canyon (specifically the souped up off-road versions that are overpriced), the base models aren't that expensive in my opinion. The previous mention of tacoma or forerunner is a good one, a little more $$ but if you keep your vehicles a long time, those would be my top choices.

Another thing to consider, certain states are less desirable to buy used vehicles in, or more appropriately, some states make it such that you can get a "better deal" on new vehicles as opposed to slightly used. As it was explained to me recently, Idaho dealerships sell a tremendous quantity of new trucks to people that live in other states. Apparently we have consumer laws preventing dealerships from marking up the cost of brand new vehicles more than MSRP (or close). Soooo, people come to Idaho to buy their trucks because their local dealerships are asking $10k-$15k over MSRP, which causes a shortage of new inventory for us locals. The dealerships do NOT have to follow the same rules for used vehicles, they can gouge the crap out of you. Soooo, they sell new trucks to non-res (they advertise those in surrounding states), they purchase barely used trucks from local customers (and pay pretty much MSRP for them - so those guys basically drive a brand new truck for a year and walk away from it breaking even, didn't cost them a dime), and then the dealerships make their big profits selling slightly used trucks to the locals because the new-vehicle inventory is low and we have few options to buy the model we are after.

I have friends at work that figured this out and decided to play the game, new truck every single year and sell it for the same price as they bought it. My buddies wife has done this with two trucks and a camper in the last 3 years. The dealers actually hunt her down and make offers over the phone to buy her trucks back.

I don't know which vehicle to recommend to you, everyone has their preferences. I have a dodge Cummins as my daily driver. I drive a lot, looking at buying another small truck so I don't put so many miles on my baby. I'm looking at the Chevy Colorado or GMC canyon (specifically the souped up off-road versions that are overpriced), the base models aren't that expensive in my opinion. The previous mention of tacoma or forerunner is a good one, a little more $$ but if you keep your vehicles a long time, those would be my top choices.

Another thing to consider, certain states are less desirable to buy used vehicles in, or more appropriately, some states make it such that you can get a "better deal" on new vehicles as opposed to slightly used. As it was explained to me recently, Idaho dealerships sell a tremendous quantity of new trucks to people that live in other states. Apparently we have consumer laws preventing dealerships from marking up the cost of brand new vehicles more than MSRP (or close). Soooo, people come to Idaho to buy their trucks because their local dealerships are asking $10k-$15k over MSRP, which causes a shortage of new inventory for us locals. The dealerships do NOT have to follow the same rules for used vehicles, they can gouge the crap out of you. Soooo, they sell new trucks to non-res (they advertise those in surrounding states), they purchase barely used trucks from local customers (and pay pretty much MSRP for them - so those guys basically drive a brand new truck for a year and walk away from it breaking even, didn't cost them a dime), and then the dealerships make their big profits selling slightly used trucks to the locals because the new-vehicle inventory is low and we have few options to buy the model we are after.

I have friends at work that figured this out and decided to play the game, new truck every single year and sell it for the same price as they bought it. My buddies wife has done this with two trucks and a camper in the last 3 years. The dealers actually hunt her down and make offers over the phone to buy her trucks back.
This game is over. The market is changing and changing fast.

Have you considered buying your car back from the insurance company and having it fixed? If it's that nice then it might be a good option. It'll show a total loss on the carfax making it close to worthless as a trade in, but if you plan on driving it into the ground, then nothing wrong with that option.

Toyota and Honda are still getting msrp for most models, American manufacturers are back of msrp and ready to negotiate.

I buy a couple hundred cars a month, would be happy to help anybody if they need it.

If you have receipts for the recent maintenance/repair work, the insurance company may pay out more than they normally would. I'm in the Automotive repair industry and we've seen this quite a bit in recent past.
This is not where the other driver has insurance and that insurance company would want to avoid law suits. They pay us for damages and try to make nice.
Just Illegal Aliens in our Country probably getting a bunch of benefits then cause an accident. Jill could have been serious injured and all they did was run around their car trying to get it off the curb and run away.

It is lucky that we have "Uninsured Insurance" that has several benefits. Our Deductible is 50%, we get rental plus we will get additional refund from Diminutation In Value, which is an additional benefit.
All ready talked to Claims. I take the Settlement or not. No Negotiations. Thank USAA for giving us any money at all.
I am just upset. REALLY UPSET at what someone would do to Jill my wife. Can't imagine what I would do If I caught them.

If it was not for all the extra coverages from USAA we probably would not be getting anything or very little since it was a "Hit and Run". Loosing a lot of money YES. Plus have to spend a lot of money. Not my insurance fault.
Thank God Jill was not seriously hurt. Took almost 8 hours to get the Tow to take our vehicle and Jill home. 9:00 PM Tuesday until 3:30am Wednesday morning. All the time I was laying in a bed just out of spinal cord surgery checking with her on our cells.

We are just looking to see what deals are out there and information on new vehicle purchases.
There has to be some members that recently bought Trucks/SUVs

Sorry about the rant. Just don't know where our Country is going and get's harder every month on the direction we are going.

Thanks
Len & Jill

WOW
Thanks for that info!

Len, so sorry to hear another challenge thrown down in your gauntlet of life. Glad to hear Jill is ok which is far more important.

Wish both of you the best!

There are a lot of deals out there with zero percent that might be better option than used. The used market is way above book which does not take into account the real marketplace.

This game is over. The market is changing and changing fast.

Have you considered buying your car back from the insurance company and having it fixed? If it's that nice then it might be a good option. It'll show a total loss on the carfax making it close to worthless as a trade in, but if you plan on driving it into the ground, then nothing wrong with that option.

Toyota and Honda are still getting msrp for most models, American manufacturers are back of msrp and ready to negotiate.

I buy a couple hundred cars a month, would be happy to help anybody if they need it.
Thanks
WOW several hundred vehicles a month. Where are you located?
In my condition I can't deal with buying the Pathfinder back and then getting it repaired at another shop. Here in GA the repair shops are overfilled and takes forever to get anything repaired. I guess that's why the shop put it at a "TOTAL" repair price. They didn't want or have the time to work on it. This is time related to get anothe vehicle. If I had this spinal cord issue cleard, I could replace the lower front end, passenger light assembly and take it to a frame shop to get the wheel to track and doors to open. Yes would save money and keep the vehicle for many years. Our 2005 Frontier with 150,000 still runs very well. Did all the Maintenace myself.
If not for my neck I would fix myself.
Now I need to buy something new for Jill.

Thanks
Len

I recommend a 4 runner which is what I currently have. It is one of the few SUVs still built on the frame so it has a truck type feel and pretty much bullet proof, but pricey. But currently mpg is not as good af some grocery getters. Otherwise in an SUV I would look at Honda, Subaru or nissan for dependability. My wife has an explorer and it is nice but we have had to use the warranty on a few occasions. Im not a big fan of dodges or chevys gas SUV reliability. A good friend also got the kia Telluride for his wife and she loves it

I have gotten great service from Fords in the past and the last 2 Fords had over 300,000 miles when I sold them but now with Ford using turbo chargers on almost everything I just would not buy a Ford and I was a mechanic for 30 + years.12 of those years I worked on Turbines in the oil field but when I got back in the shop I maintained all our company vehicles.
The last suv we owned that was turbo charged it started using oil at 35,000 miles and the dealership wouldn't do anything about it.They said they all go through oil.I sold that suv and will not own another turbo charged automobile ever again.
Just my experience.