Buying a Gunwerks LR-1000 a good choice?

hound_hunter

I'm looking at buying my first hunting rifle that will be set up fully for long range. Does anyone know anything about this rifle?

Gunwerks - Gunwerks LR-1000 Shooting System

The total price will be something like $6,500.00

Is this basically just a Remington 700 with a nice scope? Would it be the same if I were to just buy the Remington 700 XCR and put on that nice scope that they have? That would save a bit of money and be the same gun, right? If not what are the differences?

I know I'm new to all this but I'm excited to get into it. I hope I can get some good help with this and I can contribute to this forum in the future.

Thanks all!

OMG thats alot of money OMG thats alot of money OMG thats alot of money

Get the point! Its your money spend it how you see fit. Thats way out of my price range and it has been discused here before. Its a good rifle with glass and bullets but I cant see spending it at all.

There are alot of good used or new rifle for sale here in the section not to mention in the LRH gear shop.

What I think is best i buying a good factory rifle like a Sendaro or PSS in 300 win or 7mm rem mag and shooting it until you have reached a point where you have learned a bit about reloding and shooting and what you want from your rifle in general. At that point you look at your rifle its a Rem long action with a magnum bolt face and an HS precsion stock thats alot to work with and the skys the limit at that point as far as customizing it to suit your needs.

Jon

I just seen one of the setups at the local sports show two weeks ago. I bought one of the scopes. I wasn't impressed with the rifle for how much they were asking. But, you aren't just buying the rifle you are buying the knowledge and time to set it up. This is a out of the box rifle where everything is done for you. All you do is buy more ammo and shoot. How much would that be worth to you? Once you look at it that way it isn't out of line. I would check to see how much ammo is, because the only way to get good is to shoot and shoot alot.

Oh the rifle is a full custom rifle with alot of nice features.

Brent

It is all in what you want to get out of it. I bought a savage 6.5X284norma I am going to put the scope on. I will be lucky if I have $1200 into the rifle when I am done at the gunsmith. $2300 total Last time I had one worked over it shot extreeemely well. As good as my full customs.

Look for a fast twist barrel to stabilize the heavier high BC bullets you will need to reach way out there.

There is quite abit difference between a custom and a factory. IMO a custom will be alot easier to make shoot.

Brent

Last edited:
That's a lot of dough. I think a lot of it depends on what you hope to learn from the sport. Like what was previously mentioned, it's an out of the box package set up to use a certain type of ammo. It's marketed as range, dial, and shoot. But there are so many more variables involved that may be missed with just buying a set up like this.

For less money than that, I have been able to set up three long range rifles. A Rem 700 5R Milspec in 308, a Rem 700 in 300 WM (Currently being blueprinted w/ new bbl), and a Rem 700 Sendero in 300 RUM. All of these are tack drivers and capable of 1000 + yds day in and day out.

It's your money, and I'm sure this is a nice rifle, but consider buying a Rem, Savage, or one of the other recommended rifles and putting some time into learning this sport inside and out. This will gice you the opportunity to learn theory, not just range, dial, and shoot.

I would take a Look at the rifles from Grey Bull Precsion first... I don't know how much of a hurry you are in to buy a gun but you could buy a Surgeon or any numerous other custom rigs built for less. Not sure of the lead time but they have some for sale ready to go. I like some of the advice posted above too. But if your like me you won't be happy with a semi custom type rifle... Thats what I have and its working for me as a beginner but I want a full custom gun. Also as said above if you don't reload its kinda expensive to buy the only ammo thats going to shoot optimal for that rifle. Expensive because one needs to practice to learn the things the rifle won't do on its own. I guess If money is no object then you could shoot even more by not spending the time to develop and load your own ammo.

Last edited:
The difference between a custom and factory IMO is the attention to detail. The tolerances are a whole lot tighter.

Custom:

Action is trued up so it is perfectly square to the barrel. Barrel is a match grade cut or button riflling. The trigger is light and crisp. Stock is well balanced and usually pillared and bedded to the action.

You can build exactly what you want.

The best advice I can give you is get what you want don't settle. If you settle you will be unhappy and eventually you will sell it and buy what you want anyway.

I like the idea of this system, but I the human factor will come into play. The human factor is someone who is a beginner using this system and shooting a 1/2moa group and then putting it away until season and then trying to hunt with it without shooting for six months. This is why most are skeptical. I have watched the show and they do mention the other affects on the bullet at long range. They don't go into detail since they are for the most part teaching to a beginner level. I have to applaud the effort in getting people familar with long range.

Brent

Last edited:
The Greybull precision rifles are $6000 and the Gunwerks rifles are overpriced as well. Way too much to spend on a custom LR rifle. If you want a LR rifle that is ready out of the box and built by someone that really pays attention to detail, Check out Cloud Peak Gunworks. Trevor will build you a rifle for half the price and it will shoot as well if not better. You have several options with him. You can just rebarrel and accurize and existing action, choose a semi-custom package, or go for the full blown custom. Check out his website and his trophy page. He only uses the best components and is a wealth of knowledge in the LR department. He is more than happy to put you in touch with previous customers to get their opinion on his craftmanship and service. www.cloudpeakgunworks.com

If you want a custom rifle that shoots and don't mind spending the dough, get a McWhorter. That 6500 is for a descent rifle and a subpar scope at best. You could by a McWhorter and a Schmidt Bender for 6500.00. Guarantee you be much happier.

No dont get weatherbys expensive and dont shoot that great without some mods usually

I agree they are about as overated as the gunworks rifles
not impressed with the gunworks finished product. If I'm going to pay that much for a gun then it better dress and drag the animal for me too

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts