Buyers beware

And how is bullying a guy on the internet going to help? Like I said any chance at resolution has been lost.
Nobody is Bullying anyone, This site for the most part is family and that kind of behavior is not welcome here nor will it be tolerated , I for one am glad he had the stones to say something about it and help his fellow shooters

I don't have a dog in this fight, so far we only have one side of the story. In my experience there is always two. Private messages and emails should stay private, but it is very hard to judge the tone of the exchange when the issue was brought up privately between buyer and seller from one perspective.

Did the OP finish the transfer through his agent? If the OP gets $200 to fix the issue is he going to provide proof to the seller that he got the cosmetic repair done? If the OP gets the $200 to fix it will moderators delete this thread in entirety as well as negative feedback in the classifieds?

The OP needs to accept he has some responsibility or culpability in this transaction as well.

I'm sorry for the partial post earlier, I took a phone call and didn't realize I had posted from my phone.

Last edited:
I'll be a phallus here - I don't see the problem that causes all this hubub.
Pictures on the ad seemed sufficient.
If gun functions and performs flawlessly, seems to me the seller was A-OK in his description.
Aesthetics are subjective. I know people who think the AMC Pacer and Pontiac Aztek are good looking cars. The barrel channel is obviously made for a sporter with longer shank, not an ultralight profile. May not look right to you, but I have rifles that look like that.
Function first, form second. Edit to add -- it's not the seller's responsibility to disclose stuff that pertains to aesthetics. Scratches in a stock are material defects -- a barrel channel mismatch is not.
I think the post and slam were unnecessary, because it's down to that subjective thing, aesthetics. The seller did not mislead, and so I would expect he didn't feel it was necessary to refund.
It's kind of like a dialogue my wife and I have about family pictures on the wall. There's one that keeps tilting, no matter what we do. Drives her nuts, I think it adds character and levity to the photo of a wonderful day.

I don't have a dog in this fight, so far we only have one side of the story. In my experience there is always two. Private messages and emails should stay private, but it is very hard to judge the tone of the exchange when the issue was brought up privately between buyer and seller from one perspective.

Did the OP finish the transfer through his agent? If the OP gets $200 to fix the issue is he going to provide proof to the seller that he got the cosmetic repair done? If the OP gets the $200 to fix it will moderators delete this thread in entirety as well as negative feedback in the classifieds?

The OP needs to accept he has
Proof to the seller that he fixed it?

If it's a $200 repair, who cares if he takes the $200 and makes a kite out of it that his kid hangs up in an oak tree. That is the damage. We can all see it. He sure conveniently left that photo angle out of his pics. Maybe we will get his statement too, but this looks pretty cut and dry to most of us..

If gun functions and performs flawlessly, seems to me the seller was A-OK in his description.
Aesthetics are subjective. I know people who think the AMC Pacer and Pontiac Aztek are good looking cars. The barrel channel is obviously made for a sporter with longer shank, not an ultralight profile. May not look right to you, but I have rifles that look like that.
Function first, form second.
I think the post and slam were unnecessary, because it's down to that subjective thing, aesthetics. The seller did not mislead, and so I would expect he didn't feel it was necessary to refund.
It's kind of like a dialogue my wife and I have about family pictures on the wall. There's one that keeps tilting, no matter what we do. Drives her nuts, I think it adds character and levity to the photo of a wonderful day.
So why buy a $1400 30/06 instead of a $500 ruger American? They will both shoot a minute or better. Aesthetics are where the value lies. That stock makes up a significant portion of the value. The stock has been crudely modified. It wasn't disclosed in the sales ad or the pictures. This is pretty easy to see.

The OP needs to accept he has

Function first, form second.
The OP said he would post all of their text messages if he needed to and it looks like your going to force him to do that, If the OP's side of the story is true and he paid for a A1 rifle, I'd be up set as well

So why buy a $1400 30/06 instead of a $500 ruger American? They will both shoot a minute or better. Aesthetics are where the value lies. That stock makes up a significant portion of the value. The stock has been crudely modified. It wasn't disclosed in the sales ad or the pictures. This is pretty easy to see.
Yep

Function first, form second. Edit to add -- it's not the seller's responsibility to disclose stuff that pertains to aesthetics. Scratches in a stock are material defects -- a barrel channel mismatch is not.
The next time you need something let me know, I've got some subpar stuff I'll sell to you for Top Dollar

Last edited:
I have to admit... surprised anyone would stand up for the seller. I agree that the buyer should have not transferred the gun. But, to not disclose the mismatch of the stock fit... certainly shady.. and not up to the normal standard of discorce here. Buying from Facebook.. ok.. you get what you get.. buyer beware, certainly hoped for more here.

Run the action on both and you'll understand why.
I don't know about you guys, but almost every McMillan stock I have ever seen and touched looked ugly. The one in question looks like Crayola crayon brown. Yuck. Shouldering one, much different, and where they derive their greatest value.
The OP said he would post all of their text messages if he needed to and it looks like your going to force him to do that, If the OP's side of the story is true and he paid for a A1 rifle, I'd be up set as well
I'm not calling into question the OPs story. I see it differently despite his disclosure. Don't care about his PMs and texts and surely hope he doesn't feel compelled to reveal them.

Hhe next time you need something let me know, I've got some subpar stuff I'll sell to you for Top Dollar
And you won't mind if I offer you pennies on that Top Dollar. ;)