BUY - The best rifle sling ?

Down Under Hunter

Hi guys,

I am looking for a biathlon double shoulder sling of some disciption to carry a heavy hunting rifle, up and down directly positioned on the middle of my back. I have looked at the eberlestock packs, but I dont like the way they face barrel down. I don't believe you would be able to sit down wearing one, and if you slipped over you drive your expensive barrel into the ground ?

Buy double shoulder biathlon sling at the LRH Gear Shop

outlaw-sling-2.jpg

Is there a biathlon style sling on the market ? I plan on carrying my extra gear in a new ARKTIS 1624 webbing rig that leaves my back free to sling rifle and tripod.

I spoke to eberlestock and they said the answer was to "loose the tripod ?". Can you believe that?

Just interested if anyone knows of something like what I am discribing ??

Cheers all !

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had a pack you might take a look at Kifaru's GunBearer. I haven't tried one but have only heard good things.

Browning has a sling in its catalog that employs two straps, one for each shoulder and the rifle goes up the center of your back. I have used them for longer carries and they work very well.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/accessories/category.asp?value=010J&offset=26

I prefer the super quality slings from www.texashuntco.com or www.specops.com, both the same outfit I believe. They are about the toughest slings I have found, have a piece of bungie cord in them so they stretch.

I had a bad experience with a stretchy type sling from Vero Vellini, very simply it was not strong enough for toting a 14 pound rifle and it came apart.

The Kifaru pack is a great setup, you can carry the rifle in a little holster and locking strap that works great but I believe it would be best with lighter rifles. Would be pretty awkward with all that weight on one side. I believe you are on the right track with your idea of slinging down the middle of your back.

i was asked by a member on another site to make this up for him
Picture005.jpg

fin1.jpg

fin2.jpg

fin3.jpg

fin4.jpg

he gave it such a good report i made one up for my self and used it yesterday stalking for around 9 hours yesterday it really was very comfortable "Ever had a rifle come off your shoulder while scatting your way up a 1 in 3 incline, made up of heather & soggy moss?,Ever wished you had another pair of hands to keep putting that rifle back where it should be when dragging Rudolph on your own? I decided to ask Ash to make me a version of the biathlon ski & shoot sling system, well as usual he's come up with the goods first try!, I asked him to build it a little more robust than the racing rigs they use on comps, it's turned out spot on, a couple of points, I am not one for cosmetics over functionality, so a small blemish on part of the leather does not detract from my pleasure in receiving this bit of kit, & anyone thinking it looks a tad heavy would be wrong, even with the quality brass that's on here I reckon the increase in comfort & safety is worth the tiny increase in weight, when wearing the rig I cannot foul the butt stock with my wellies at full bend of the knee, & the mod will clear the low stuff with a gentle stoop. No difference in dismount into the aim, just a firm shrug of the shoulder & your ready"

he gave it such a good report i made one up for my self and used it yesterday stalking for around 9 hours yesterday it really was very comfortable

I don't suppose you could give us a tutorial on how you made it and what supplies you used? Maybe even some pictures in there?

Ihunt in bear country so it would do me no good to have gun not quickly accessible, so I USE SAFARI sling , which is front carry over both shoulders and at the ready right at my hips, hands free to climg or glass. All my hard core elk huntin buddies use them.

Last edited:
I always carry a full frame back pack when hunting with all the survival and game processing nessesities, and i found that carrying my rifle inside the pack works well for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.