Buy once cry once new optic - seeking experienced advice

Thats why we have choices and everyone gets to buy and use what they want/like.
I own only one Leupold . It is a GOLD VX-III 6.5-20x40mm.. Its a nice hunting..
What I did not like about the Leupold VX 6 4-24x52 was the Turrets were Mushy to my feel and the zero Stop made it lose over a revolution in elevation.There are several scopes that have that problem..But the Mushy Turrets were a deal breaker for myself.
Did you send it back? I have 3 vx5 and two vx6. Click and feel perfect for me. I'll stick with a ratchet for working on my vehicles.

Did you send it back? I have 3 vx5 and two vx6. Click and feel perfect for me. I'll stick with a ratchet for working on my vehicles.
I like crisp audible turrets . I HATE SPONGY MUSHY TURRETS.
That is this biggest gripe I hear about that scope.Even the guys reviewing them like Joe Rhea aka Cyclops and Richard Utting that go thru mire spices than I will ever own.But as for myself if I don't like it I ain't keeping it.So it had to go

I like crisp audible turrets . I HATE SPONGY MUSHY TURRETS.
That is this biggest gripe I hear about that scope.Even the guys reviewing them like Joe Rhea aka Cyclops and Richard Utting that go thru mire spices than I will ever own.But as for myself if I don't like it I ain't keeping it.So it had to go
Even with all the neurological damage I've had to my hands I have no problem counting the clicks on my VX-6's. I get that some guys are just hooked on something more I just don't understand why. If I can feel it, feeling it more isn't going to make a difference.

Since all of them have Moa/Mil indicators on the turret, or yardage has marks with custom turrets I really don't see where it makes much difference either way.

As far as I can tell it's purely about personal taste rather than functionality.

Even with all the neurological damage I've had to my hands I have no problem counting the clicks on my VX-6's. I get that some guys are just hooked on something more I just don't understand why. If I can feel it, feeling it more isn't going to make a difference.

Since all of them have Moa/Mil indicators on the turret, or yardage has marks with custom turrets I really don't see where it makes much difference either way.

As far as I can tell it's purely about personal taste rather than functionality.

Its all what you,me or whoever likes in a scope.. However there has to be some degree of validity to it or all those aforementioned YouTube/Guru/Reviewers and others commenting on the mushy turrets, they would not have commented on the same thing.Have a good day
If you like yours that is all that really matters in the end.

Its all what you,me or whoever likes in a scope.. However there has to be some degree of validity to it or all those aforementioned YouTube/Guru/Reviewers and others commenting on the mushy turrets, they would not have commented on the same thing.Have a good day
If you like yours that is all that really matters in the end.
Have you ever noticed that in any given clique the same phrases and criticisms are almost always repeated verbatim by all the members?

Yes, like I said it's a matter of personal choice but the internet is full of experts that are simply repeating what they've heard without an actual basis in fact for those claims and criticisms.

My advice to anyone is to try before you buy and that would include feeling out the "clicks" on the windage and elevation turrets to see if they are satisfactory.

I don't know many folks with unlimited money that earned it by not being careful in how they spend what they earn and doing your due diligence before you buy is a big part of ending up satisfied with a purchase.

Have you ever noticed that in any given clique the same phrases and criticisms are almost always repeated verbatim by all the members?

Yes, like I said it's a matter of personal choice but the internet is full of experts that are simply repeating what they've heard without an actual basis in fact for those claims and criticisms.

My advice to anyone is to try before you buy and that would include feeling out the "clicks" on the windage and elevation turrets to see if they are satisfactory.

I don't know many folks with unlimited money that earned it by not being careful in how they spend what they earn and doing your due diligence before you buy is a big part of ending up satisfied with a purchase.
Yep.. Opinions are like Noses. Everyone seems to have one. Its good for newbies to ask questions. There is no dumb question. But it seems that a large amount of these asking would rather ask others rather than go do their due diligence to educate & look for themselves. And if they happen to listen to the wrong one they usually get snake bit.

So to the OP I think you need to consolidate a budget and weight class. The optics you listed after mentioning ZCO aren't in the same realm as ZCO. As far as Alpha/Tier 1 Glass quality is concerned TT/ZCO/S&B/ZP5 > Gen III Razor/7-35ATACR/Kahles > ATACR/AMG/Gen II Razor, MK5, XTRIII, Cronus, XRSIII, etc. I truthfully dunno where march sits in that lineup. I'm guessing between the GenIII/ATACR and the Tier 1 stuff.

Weight and budget are something you need to just basically set for yourself and that will narrow quite a bit from the choices.

Like Lance, I've spent a stupid amount of money chasing glass. This day in age you can have really nice glass for 1500-2000. Of those that you mentioned the ZCO is the best. But it's hard to just throw out a lot of different optics that truthfully have different purposes and saying pick one.

Which brings me to my question. What's the purpose of the rifle? Are you going to be lugging it around on back country? Lugging it around hunting? If so I think TT315M or March are your options for alpha glass and moderately lightweight. Is this a rifle you're going to just run in competition and go to the range with? Well then of what you listed the ZCO527 is going to be hands down the best choice you've listed. I will say if you don't want to spend $4000 the ZP5 and Gen III Razor are really close to ZCO in IQ. People will **** me for that but I've sat for hours with my ZP5 next to the ZCO 527 and as the ZP5 has done for years it's trading blows with TT and ZCO. Astonishingly the Gen III when I took it out this past weekend next to my ZP5 had better contrast to my eyes. ZP5 still beat it out in edge to edge clarity but they were pretty much equal in DOF and resolution. Where ZCO and TT do differentiate themselves besides nearly perfect glass. Is that their fit and finish is just superb. TT has the best turrets money can buy and if you talk to someone that has felt them they'll say there is nothing like them. ZCO has really nice turrets, I like them alright though personally prefer Kahles elevation turrets to theirs. Gen III turrets are super underwhelming and there seems to be some sample variance. ZP5 turrets at least revised (white box) are pretty nice. Not the best but I quite like them.

Last edited:
Thats valid point and sound advice .Im always looking for something else is my problem I guess.Alkways wanting something better.Even if it does not always turn out that way.LOL.I do have 2 Valdada's and 2 Delta Stryker's and a couple Primary Arms PLX 6-30x56.
I'm the same way. I have Nightforces, a S&B, I've tried the MK5s and 6s and they are all good but the Mk4s I settled on several years ago are good for my Prairie dog shoots and range time. It's probably like me still using a flip phone and keeping my old trucks and tractors. I'm happy with what I have and don't need to keep up. I am 75 yrs old.
God Bless

I'm the same way. I have Nightforces, a S&B, I've tried the MK5s and 6s and they are all good but the Mk4s I settled on several years ago are good for my Prairie dog shoots and range time. It's probably like me still using a flip phone and keeping my old trucks and tractors. I'm happy with what I have and don't need to keep up. I am 75 yrs old.
God Bless
Amen..just keep shooting.