Buy kenetrek?

Or, you can find companies on the Internet that have liberal return policies and try several brands and return the one(s) that don't meet your expectations. Sierra Trading Post carries most of the better brands that are hard to find in the big box stores. They also have an express return service which gives partial credit for the return. I was fortunate and the Kenetrec's I ordered fit perfectly and got them for 35% off the normal retail price.

That is, at least in my case an issue. I don't want to play the ship em back and get another pair game. I want to fit them on ths spot and only deal with it one time. Feet are unique to each person, that is, what fits one pair of 10-1/2 D width feet on a particular person, don't mean another person with the same size and width 'feels' comfortable and boots aren't really adjustable like say backpacks.

Actually, all the cyber companies offer basically the same return/exchange ploicy, so the choice is one of a physical buy or the shell game if they aren't right the first time.

Clothing in general comes under the on site fitment scenario for me. I try not to buy any garment without trying a representative sample on.

SidecarFlip, sorry if i came off brash with my comment. That was not my intent and I apologize. I had simply seen first hand how my hunting buddy's K boots performed on a CO elk hunt last season and knew that it was the boot that I wanted. I could not find a dealer close by so, I really had no choice but to order them online. With the price of gas these days, paying for the return had they not worked, would have been cheaper.

SidecarFlip, sorry if i came off brash with my comment. That was not my intent and I apologize. I had simply seen first hand how my hunting buddy's K boots performed on a CO elk hunt last season and knew that it was the boot that I wanted. I could not find a dealer close by so, I really had no choice but to order them online. With the price of gas these days, paying for the return had they not worked, would have been cheaper.

No offende taken, no apology needed, in fact, I considered it just discussing options. Candidly, I too wanted/want a pair of Kenetreck hunters as my hunting partner has a pair and they are, shall I say, 'over the top', I just have no desire to play the mail order game. I have terrible odds at ordering right the first time.... If i9t wasn't for the fact that the UPS druver knows me and my company address, half the stuff I do order wouldn't show up. I'm bad at listing the wrong street address.....:)

The Meincl 10" hunters are a very comfortable boot. I was amazed when I got them home and put on a pair of Mereno Wool hunting socks and slipped my feet inside. Was like wearing nothing at all..... BTW, they were 230 clams at Cabelas.

My vote is Lowa. This is a great boot. I have the Hunter insulated. I packed 35 miles in 6 days beginning at 7500 feet, base camp at 9500 feet and hunt area extends up to 10200 feet two winters ago. Low temps of 17f to high temps of 65f. Great support, excellent temperature control. Sheds mud and snow in the cleat very well. This boot kept my feet dry and comfortable while crossing streams, while snow was constantly on the uppers, during heavy hiking and while sitting still for long periods of time. The high sidewalls are very durable and resist cutting in the sharp rocks and scree piles that we often traverse at the 10000 feet level.

By the way - I weigh 240 and pack a 60 pound pack 7 miles into the wilderness to base camp. I pack light once in base camp. That is a LOT of abuse on the old dogs. Even with that pounding, no hot spots or blisters. I hope that experience report helps.

By the way. Zappos covers shipping to and from. Could not be easier if you need to return a set. I have ordered 2 pair to compare. Kept the ones I like and returned the other. Credited back for the return purchase. Great service.

Ski boots ........................that's the reason I love mine. I hunt in really rocky country Chukar hunting and I LOVE mine because of that .............For me my boots are more important than any other piece of my equipment. More than my rifle. When I had to have mine resoled .........I had to hunt in my old boots, because I did I had to take things really slow in so many areas.
Strange that so many will spend so much on their rifle yet skimp on those things that really matter. For my my boots are a safety issue .................they allow me to hunt and get into area's that would not be safe in my older boots or boots that did not give me the incredable support that the Kennetreks do.

G

Re: CRISPI, Lowa, or KENETREK?

For the type of expedition you are describing, I would opt for the Crispi Hunter GTX. Also made in Italy like the Kenetreks, but have a few features that really set it apart from the rest. Crispi uses Goretex, Kentrek uses Windtex. As much as people want to try and say they are the same, they are not. Goretex produces a superior product.

I think the reason that some companies do not use Goretex, especially companies coming out of Italy, or other parts of the EU is because from what I have heard getting a Gore license in Europe is not only extremely selective, but also extremely expensive.

With my Hunters I also noticed that Crispi unlike Kentrek uses Vibram soles. Further Vibram makes the best soles in the world and they make a sole that is specific only to Crispi boots called SuperGrip. I think the number is 20%-30% more grip on wet, icey, or sliimey surfaces when compared with others in the industry. Plus, for this year they have apparently added a new feature to their soles called a Crossbow frame according to Eastmans that absorbs shock when carrying heavy load and I think is a urethane based material instead of EVA in the heel, which is what the majority of other brands use. EVA breaks down, smooshes out and can crack and wet out when it wears.

Third, the biggest reason I chose the Crispi Hunter GTX was due to the fit. The people at the store said there is no break in period and they will fit right out of the box. I was skeptical, but took them on their word and they were right on with that one. Not one blister on my 5 day hunt last year in the Northwest and I had only worn them for about 20 minutes altogether before my trip.

Further, they have a feature called ABSS (ankle bone support system) that truly sold me on these puppies. I read a review on the Outdoor Hub website about the Crispi Kanada that really made me want to try a pair of these boots on. The reviewer talked about how much support he received wearing his Kanadas after he sprained his ankle in the initial stages of his hike wearing another brand of boots. He switched over and was able to complete his hike and noted that after he was through, he took off his Kanadas and was barely able to walk. The amount of support he received from the Crispi boots was the only thing keeping him going.

Last, the Crispi Hunter GTX is rated to -20F, but even in early fall when I was hunting in southwest Missouri and the days were topping out at 70F, I didn't think they were too warm. In slushy snow and freezing temperatures with only a medium weight smartwool sock on, I was very comfortable, but I think this year I will pick up their new Idaho boot, which does not have insulation for warm days.

I know this was long and I like to give unbiased reviews for others to look at, but there is nothing that I can really say negative about the boots. When I first tried them on, I did notice a difference in the boot's overall rockered shape. Initial reactions walking around in the store were a little different, but the sales guy assured me that I would love it after walking in them for a few minutes in the field. He was right again, the rockered toe to heel shape is kind of incredible. It strolls along so naturally when you are really trying to hoof it to your next checkpoint.

I found that the Kenetreks were really sloppy in the heel compared to Crispi boots and the Crispis fit true to size even though they are an Italian company, the last was not narrow like many European boots I have tried on. I did however switch out the insole to account for my giant arch. The Crispi insole was pretty nice for a factory insole, but almost too stiff for my liking, but if anyone is going to drop $400+ on boots that you know you will have for quite awhile, then you should probably be putting in an after market insole anyways. Ski boots are the same way, why keep that flat piece of foam in your $400 ski boots when you can opt for a custom insole or something like a Comformable trek insole (my insole of choice) to really make them fit the way you want.

Hope this helps. I have not tried on the Lowa boots except for a few light hiker models, but those light hikers were far too narrow for me. Not sure how their burlier models fit though.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-07-02 at 3.10.22 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-07-02 at 3.10.22 PM.png
    102.3 KB · Views: 92
I became a Kenetrek Boots dealer because my own quest for a better boot brought me in contact with happy "Kenetrek Boots Kool-Aid drinkers" along the trails of the western mountain states. It seemed to be a personal mission of many of these satisfied Kenetrek users to spread the word.

--Len Backus-- (Publisher Of Long Range Hunting)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aldon, don't believe everything your read about the performance of hunting gear, including hunting boots. If you do, be prepared to be disappointed at some time or another. Most everyone, including myself, are going to give glowing, positive reviews on products that we've spent our hard-earned money to acquire. When I bought my Kenetreks, I was reminded by my wife that I have a closet full (okay, just 4 pairs) of hunting boots that were supposed to be the very best. I bought my Kenetrek's only because last year, a hunting buddy kept reminding us that his boots were comfortable and kept him dry and warm (we hunted in rain and snow for 2 days) when the remainder of our elk hunting party spent each evening drying out our boots.

After just 6 miles hiking, my new Kenetreks are very comfortable but the real test will come in October on this year's elk hunt. I hope that I won't be disappointed. But, if I am, I promise, I'll let you know.

Yeah, Buyer beware for sure. I am still researching. I may yet decide on something other than the Crispi's. The fact that Zappos does not have them may actually weigh into that.

I have a pair of Kenetreks mountain extreme 400gr thinsulate that I really like and have no complaints.
However, I just bought a pair of Hanwag Alaska GTX from Lathrop and sons and couldn't be happier! For a non insulated boot it is fantastic.
Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in. Also I have the lathrop and sons insoles in my kenetreks and really like them too.

10-4 on Biggs300 and the closet full of "greatest thing" boots.

I hunted in Whites Smoke Jumpers for years but could never have fit & comfort. Blister City without preventative moleskin in strategic hot spots before first day. Built like tanks but just can't love them.

After reading some of this thread, I saw that the place I buy my work uniforms carries Kenetreks so I went in today to try a pair on. I wore them out. They feel pretty darn good. He doesn't advertise so the price was right too. He told me they were running a little small. Sure enough, 1/2 size larger fits great (non-insulated). Insulated boots just aren't as comfortable.

Workman's Outfitters- Boise, Idaho
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q4HFwaSXG4]Workman Outfitters - YouTube[/ame]

I have had almost every kind of the best Mountaineering boots, single insulated, double boots that were better and are as good or better than any mentioned in this thread. I did a lot of winter hunting and years of winter mountaineering, and ice climbing. I have hunted mountain goats late in November high in Montana's mountains in deep snow and on ice / rock slopes, years of elk hunting in steep country here in North Idaho and Western Montana, I now use HOFFMAN, Pac boots, from Kellogg Idaho. I have had others Pac boots rebuilt with Hoffman bottoms when they wear out and and have many pairs of Hoffman's in various weights and heights that have tough lug soles that are better in most all conditions over all others, See their website. That's my 2 cents on boots.

I have had my Kenetrek's now for four years. It took me three years to completly wear out the soles to the point that there was no tread left. I cant imagine hunting anywhere that would be tuffer on a pair of boots than hunting the Lake Range in Nevada for Chukar. You are walking in rocks all day, sharp rocks no round smooth ones here. With out those boots, I wont go up into the Lake Range, but with them and the support they give my feet, I cant imagine not having them.................
Yes, it took me a long time to break them in, but then a really tuff boot with the support they give takes a long time to break them in. I got a few blisters in the beginning it just takes time Most people want a boot that break in really fast. I will stick with what works and take the time to break them in .............................Like I said ........cant even imagine anyplace as tuff as the Lake Range.

Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.