buy a sendero or have a gun built??

bigsal5353

i'm THINKING about gettin along range rig built.. have a savage 22-250 right now.. would like to have a bigger gun capable of hitting deer at 600 or 800 yds.. and for punching paper that far or longer.. should i got with a sendero in 300rum or just have a gun built???? who and where in western pa is a good gunsmith??

[ 09-30-2004: Message edited by: bigsal5353 ]

...have your cake and eat it too! Just kidding... might wanna purchase the Sendero and begin having fun immediately and later on during the off season etc... find a good smith and begin accurizing project; might not even be worth the effort if you get a shooter right out of the box... it's a lotta fun both ways... good shooting...Larry

BigSal , what action is your 22-250 built on ?
For a hell of alot less than what you would pay for a Sendero or having a gun built you can have your Savage accurized and get a new match grade barrel.

I have three Savage actions that I swap barrel out on , I have modified the stocks so that I don't even have to pull the action out of the stock , I just take the barrel off and put on the new one , then I pull the scope off and put on the new one that is steup for that barrel , this is easy via the Ken Farrel Base and TPS rings.

Larry O. Has a good point.It might be wise to buy the Sendero and see how it shoots. You could get lucky and have pretty much what you want right out of the box. If it has a decent barrel(and Remington factory barrels run from fabulous to absolutely horrible)all you have to do is get it recrowned (Rem factory crowns usually aren't very good), have the bolt lapped, have a trigger job or replace it with a Jewell. And, rebed the barelled action. Yes, I know that the Rem H&S manufactured stock has v-block bedding, but it can be significantly improved upon by skim bedding it with a little Bisonite. Hart of PA does a good job tuning up factory Remingtons. If you decide to use the Rem factory barrel for a tomato stake or the overbore 300 RUM eats the throat there are a few other things to do while you are rebarreling and rechambering. Get the action threads recut and the action face squared. Even if your factory Sendero is a complete dog you will still (with luck)have at least two good parts of your custom rifle --the action and the stock.

[ 10-03-2004: Message edited by: Crispin ]

maybe you would wanna look at a savage model 12!? They are deffinatley capable of sub MOA groups, but as far as I know they arent chambering in the ultra mags

Big

save the $ and buy a 300 win or 300 wsm match grade barrel for the savage. $300-450

If all you are looking for is 800 yards, both of the above are more than capable and flat shooting to do that without relocating your shoulder.

BH

IMHO, start with the Sendero, if that is close to what you want.

I began with a Remington 700 LH in 270 in 1982. It got a Garrett glass stock in 1990, a Jewell trigger in 2000, a Shilen barrel in 2004. And it is now blueprinted with an alloy bolt shroud,etc.

It is now 6.5 lbs ready to go with a Leupold compact, unbelievely accurate and darned pretty as well.

Total cost...$2k spread out over years.

The out of the box Remington Sendero is 90% of what you want. And that's 150% of what you really need to hunt, and enjoy it, accurately, at good ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.