Bushnell fusion 1600 vs leica 1600 help

albertakid

I am stuck I have read as much as I can on these two units what one do you recomend I need one that will effectivley read 1500 and better...like the idea of the fusions just scared to roll the dice on a bushnell product...but like the idea of one unit

Jordan

I have the fusions and love them. They will get readings at the ranges you want, as long as you can hold them still. Use a rest, tripod, something to stay steady.

To ensure that the object being ranged is the object you intend to be ranged compare beam divergence of the two. Select the one with the smaller divergence.

I witnessed a perfect opportunity at a LRH bull elk missed due to the false confidence of being able to range tons of yards with an older Bushnell.

When it came nut cuttin' time, the unit gave a solid repeatable reading and gave confidence to the shot.

Too bad that the unit was ranging on a single pine tree trunk about 50 yards short of the intended target. Precisely enough for a clean miss.

This was after literally weeks of glassing and many hundreds of $ invested in the hunt.

However it was a great learning experience. Though expensive.

I have the Leica 1600 (less than 6 months old) and a shooting buddy has an older and presumably less expensive Bushnell. Not sure of his model nor of the distance "rating" though I'm sure it is less than the Leica.

The most obvious difference in performance is is consistancy. While within both units respective ranges, the Bushnell is almost always 2 or 3 yards longer on its return. For example, I'll range something at 375 y and he'll get 377 y. When the range is over 600 or so yards the older unit is almost worthless because of inconsistancy.

When we're under 600, ranging the same target with the Bushnell several times will ocassionally return several different numbers, sometimes as varied as 40 or 50 yards. At the same time, the leica will return exactly the same number. Of course with both units, one must hold them steady.

An example of the Leica's accuracy might be shown from my experience with it this past Saturday. I ranged a target at 524 yards from the point we were shooting from, put the dope on the rifle and fired several rounds on target. A few minutes later I stepped back a few feet to the tailgate of the truck to write my notes where I ranged again - 526y.

Another example, I just stepped out the door here and ranged a building that is 1017 yards away. I took 3 steps closer and the range returned changed to 1014 Y. There is another building out there that ranges at 2152 yards and is not squarely facing me. I must take 8 or 10 steps to get a consistantly shorter return of about 2140. 3 things to note, 1) the side of a steel buildings give a great return for the laser and 2) the 2100 yard building is considerably over the units rating and 3) a game animal will not return as well as a building particularly at longer distances.

I'm not familiar with the Bushnell fusion model but I'm quite satisfied with the Leica 1600.

my .02, - hope it helps.

After much diliberation I decided to stick with the leica 1600 I have had excellent results with my 900 and the reports of the bushnell not working well under 25 degrees has me concerned thanks for the help

Good choice, I was set to get a Fusion till after an hour of sitting on the phone talking with different people at Bushnell I found someone who knew what beam deliverance was, he found the spec to be 2mil x 4 mil which is basically double the Leica!!

I have a Leica 1600 for only 8 months, They fit in your shirt pocket very easy to get to. I just came of a 20 day hunt day lite till dark every day, 2 degrees to 65 degrees an the best they did was a stop sign 1823 yards. well worth the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.