Bushnell Forge 3-18x50 VS Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25x50

brianbeadle

I'm at a crossroads for the optics on my first LRH stick. I purchased a Tikka T3X Stainless/fluted in 6.5creedmoor(she's perty) and now I need to glue some glass on it. When I started my search I came across the Bushnell and liked it for its turret quality, locking turrets, tracking, good glass, and great reviews. With their new lines coming out, they are now clearing these out and the prices are stupid good, like $375 with an original retail of $1150 (take that with a grain of salt). They also have the same warranty as Vortex now.

On the other hand, I am a fan of Vortex in general, love the brand, love the warranty. The PST 2 checks every single box and beats the Bushy in everything but eye relief. I can find one for around $800. I also love the illuminated reticle.

I will be using it for antelope, deer, and light long-range shooting on the weekends. What would you do?

Both are nice scopes. Not so sure the Forge is illuminated though.

Here's another one to check out the Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50. It is illuminated with a 6x zoom range. Vortex is closing them out. They get good reviews on Youtube. Only $300.

Both are nice scopes. Not so sure the Forge is illuminated though.

Here's another one to check out the Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50. It is illuminated with a 6x zoom range. Vortex is closing them out. They get good reviews on Youtube. Only $300.
That's a smoking deal. I'll run to Cabelas and see if they have any I can peak through. I probably won't be using the FFP for ranging so SFP is acceptable. Thanks!

I had been eyeing the closeout Forge scopes too. Only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger was that the FFP models were not illuminated, that reticle is pretty thin. I think they did make a SFP model of the Forge 3-18 though

I had been eyeing the closeout Forge scopes too. Only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger was that the FFP models were not illuminated, that reticle is pretty thin. I think they did make a SFP model of the Forge 3-18 though

Same here. I have yet to read or watch a bad review of it. Seems like great glass for the price. But yes, not illuminated.

After experiencing both companies customer service departments I would never get anything from Bushnell. Vortex has a customer service department that is as good as it gets while Bushnell has one of the worst.
When Bushnell liquidates models they don't intend to manufacture they also liquidate all the parts. When you need a repair on one of these items they push and bump you into spending more money for a more expensive replacement at a discount.
I sent an Elite rifle scope into them to repair a broken reticule. I also sent the best rangefinder they made when I bought it 19 months earlier because of a problem with the menu controller. Six months later after many emails and phone calls they admitted they couldn't locate my scope. I also had to pay almost $300 more for a replacement rangefinder that was and still is missing it's case.
So, don't count on having any warranty with anything you purchase from Bushnell. With any Vortex product you're covered even if you bought it used! Can't get much better than that!

After experiencing both companies customer service departments I would never get anything from Bushnell. Vortex has a customer service department that is as good as it gets while Bushnell has one of the worst.
When Bushnell liquidates models they don't intend to manufacture they also liquidate all the parts. When you need a repair on one of these items they push and bump you into spending more money for a more expensive replacement at a discount.
I sent an Elite rifle scope into them to repair a broken reticule. I also sent the best rangefinder they made when I bought it 19 months earlier because of a problem with the menu controller. Six months later after many emails and phone calls they admitted they couldn't locate my scope. I also had to pay almost $300 more for a replacement rangefinder that was and still is missing it's case.
So, don't count on having any warranty with anything you purchase from Bushnell. With any Vortex product you're covered even if you bought it used! Can't get much better than that!
Yup! Can't beat that! I guess I have to decide if its worth $500 extra for the PST gen 2 over the Strike Eagle. I still need a good amount of western hunting gear and $500 clams could go a long way.....

After a bad experience with Bushnell many years ago, I avoided them until last year. I purchased the Engage model 6x24x50 / deploy reticle, NOT a good decision, should have listened to that inner voice reminding me of their past poor quality issues !

I've looked through the Forge and was not impressed. If 800-900 is in your range look at Cameralandny.com and at the Bushnell Elite Tactical. Some of them can be had for that price range of 850-900$. The Forge for $400 is a good deal though.

I've looked through the Forge and was not impressed. If 800-900 is in your range look at Cameralandny.com and at the Bushnell Elite Tactical. Some of them can be had for that price range of 850-900$. The Forge for $400 is a good deal though.
Sometimes good deals are like poetry. Bad poetry is worthless and good poetry brings about the same price! There obviously is a reason why Bushnell is liquidating the Forge. Some buyers might get lucky but it will definitely be dependent upon caliber used and amount of rounds shot. Could really screw a great hunting trip if it fails. For me, that is enough to make me avoid what seems like a great deal.

Sometimes good deals are like poetry. Bad poetry is worthless and good poetry brings about the same price! There obviously is a reason why Bushnell is liquidating the Forge. Some buyers might get lucky but it will definitely be dependent upon caliber used and amount of rounds shot. Could really screw a great hunting trip if it fails. For me, that is enough to make me avoid what seems like a great deal.

Agree and that's why I said to buy the Tactical model. I've got 2 of them and they're a great product. Just depends on a persons budget though. I've never really found a nice quality scope for $400 with the features of the Forge. As I said, I wasn't impressed but at $400 for some it may be what they want and a good deal for them. Personally, I wouldn't buy one. I've never had a issue with any of my Bushnell products (2 scopes and a bino set) but I have with my Vortex (2 scopes). Service was great both times from Vortex.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.