Bushnell elite spotters

Natty Bumpo

Has anyone had the chance to check out any of Bushnell's elite line of spotting scopes? I understand the 80mm models use their low dispersion glass. Just wondering how they compare to pricier models.

I have one of these scopes with the original Baush and Lomb signage on the side of it before Bushnell put their name on it. It does what I need it to do. I can make out the small stones on the other side of the river bank 1 mile away on bright day. It came with the 20x60 power zoom eyepiece and a nice protective zippered ballistic cloth cover, screw in front lens cover, slip on rear. It does have the 80mm ED lenses. It is a good glass. Is it a Swarosky or Zeiss, no but I didn't pay 1200 + the eyepiece either. I use it to in Wy to determine shooter bucks from about 700 to 1500 yards after finding with my Leica 10x bino's if needed.
I do need to get a wide angle fixed 30x power eyepiece though, I would think this would help immensly with glassing thru scope.
I did look thru a guys PD-80 (Pentax) and it compared very favorably with this scope if not even IMO. His eyepiece was better though. The PD-80 was larger and heavier not really something I would want to pack around. The Elite is OK for this with a small tripod. It is a decent clear glass for what you pay.

The Elite are decent table top spotters. They are worth what you pay for them and are backed by a fine warranty. A fine mid-price range choice. As stated, the eyepeice is lacking in eye relief.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.