Bushnell 4200 6-24x50mm Review

Tyler Kemp

Bought a mounted but never shot 4200 last week, got here yesterday. So far I'm very pleased, and I hope to shoot with it soon. Should be able to get almost 700 yards on 24x, and 900 on 12x, although that is further than I can shoot at that magnification on a small target. The only thing I am not happy with is they state 50 moa elevation and windage, and I'm only getting mid 40's for elevation. Not a big deal, but 5 extra MOA was expected. Mounted with +20 MOA in Burris Signature rings from Buffalobob I have 24 MOA of "up". I'm going to have to invest in a canted base as well since inserts aren't available for the 30mm rings. :( I'll say sorry for the pics in advance, they're off my cell phone so they might not be crystal clear.

Here is the scope on my 6mm Ackley, I think the size is pretty proportional to the gun-

img275.jpg

img276.jpg

The elevation and windage knobs are very good, at least to me. I haven't gotten to mess around much with the top end scopes, but I will have a Leupold Mark 4 here soon to try it out against. The markings line up exactly, which makes me happy, I like them being perfect, unlike my last scope on this gun.

img277.jpg

img278.jpg

The knobs also fit my hands very well, and I have "average" hands I'd guess, so they should be fine for most people. The clicks aren't very loud, but that may be because of grease in there. I will take off the knobs and report back.

img284.jpg

CONTINUED

The reticle seems more precise than most mil-dots I have seen the dots are small, and also has four dots instead of the three I have seen. Just allows for more range without dialing, which is good. The reticle is crisp and clear, the only concern I have is dividing those mils into 1/4s and less, the booklet says 1/10 mils can be accurately divided if you become experienced with the scope.

img280.jpg

The side focus works fine I guess, wasn't expecting it to not work, so not really much to say on it. I wish it was "expanded" so you could dial to a certain range a bit more accurately, but maybe you don't have to be dead on, I shall see after I get to stretch it out on the range a bit.

img281.jpg

The power ring works fine too, but I must say it's exceptionally smooth. I enjoy turning the power ring, as odd as that sounds. Never felt a scope like this, the power ring almost turns itself wherever you want it to go. The "12" is red to indicate where milling is accurate, and 6x and 24x are twice and half mil spacings respectively.

img283.jpg

I tested the scope on a bore-sighter and it tracks dead on. The 6mm Ackley doesn't really recoil much so I expect it to stay that way. I went all over with the knobs, and they came back to dead center each time.

The glass is also pretty good, slightly better than my Burris Signature Select 8-32x I would say, and brighter since the objective lens is 10mm larger. I will compare it to the Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x whenever it arrives.

Thanks,
Tyler

Thinking long and hard on this one it just may be what i have been looking for to use on my Savage F/TR insted of the Tasco 5x20x50 i'm using now have checked on a price and it just may be the best price out there just need the cash now.

Saw it reviewed on Sniper Central after reading then saw it was for sale on the site to members, sent e-mail receved back e-mail with price and reg. number good for 15 days.
Ordered last night on last day received today e-mail that order receved and will be shipped 24/48 hours.

I have two of these and love them. I use canted bases for both because adjustment is 44-45 MOA total. The glass is good.

My 243 with 4200 tactical
001-11.jpg

My 7wsm with 4200 tactical
IMG_1882.jpg

Looking at a clay pigeon from 704yds with scope on 24x (the picture doesn't represent actual clarity of scope)
IMG_1878.jpg

The Mark 4 guy dissapeared, so I won't be able to compare them. Adjustments seem spot on so far, been able to shoot with it a bit.

i put one on a 300 wsm before going to alaska this summer...all summer i might add!very pleased with the scope.it was tested from 200-1100yd and i had absolutely zero probs with it tracking.i get 64moa elevation with mine kinda wondering about windage positioning on tylers rig?the alaskan bush is very very very thick and rough and i had a rock about the size of a small pizza box fall above me and it hit my scope directly.it left a pretty good "ding/dent/slash" in the scope but the sucker was dead on when i went to the range.very good scope for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.