Bushnell 3200 3x-9x Firefly

Ian M

For all you long range night hunters out there. Bushnell's new scope has a unique reticle system that will glow for several hours after you shine a flashlight through it. Sort of green, like your watch dial.
I have one and it works well, lights up and stays lit.
The "arms" of the duplex are very heavy, then they taper down into heavy posts and then there is a set of crosshairs - I have not had it on the range to date but estimate the center crosshair area might be about 6" @ 100.. Under poor light your eyes are lead to the middle of the scope where there is an empty box (crosshair area, not very big). You are essentially aiming with the big green duplex arms where they leave a black area in the center of the scope.
No batteries so it won't go dead just when you need it.
Nice bright, sharp little scope with very smooth power ring operation and adjustments. European style eyepiece focusing.
Personally, I am not convinced the N.American hunting community needs lit reticles. We have pretty specific laws re legal hunting hours for big game and I suspect that lit reticles might coax some individuals to push those limits. I particularly do not like shooting late in the day, a wounded animal can be tough enough to track in good light, let alone after dark.
There are jurisdictions where you can shoot after sunset so this scope might be great for varmints or whatever after dark. It is only a 40mm objective so it only allows so much light to enter, would make more sense on a big 56mm.
Would be good for European hunting where they traditionally hunt after dark.

Ian, There have been times I could not see my iron sights on deer at only 75 yards, in the middle of the day. This is the reason I like lighted reticles. Now for medical reasons I am having to change to long range opportunities, or give up hunting entirely. Soooo, lighted reticels are on the list. Thanks for the heads up.
John

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.