Bushmaster ACR.....

Ghost_143

I am looking to purchase an ACR in 2010 when they become available. I want to buy the .308 rem model with 20" barrel. I am a soldier in the US Army and need a capable weapon for tactical purposes (practice makes perfect) and efficient at dropping game. I can get a module set to convert it to the .223 / 5.56 round as well for alot less then a second rifle. What scope would be recommended for the .308 REM? I would use an ACOG for the 5.56 but that wouldn't give me the long range that I want for the other. I want to be able to utilize the maximum range. Something with a range finder built in would be nice. I am a proficient shooter to 300 yards but I know a .308 REM can reach out further. I'm just not sure how far. I am not familiar with this round. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I am curious to hear opinions on this weapon and/or round I've chosen as well as ideas on a scope.

I'm friends with your outgoing AMLO (or one of them, I don't know how many you have). Small world.

I am looking to purchase an ACR in 2010 when they become available. I want to buy the .308 rem model with 20" barrel.
I think you mean 308 Winchester. Good choice for a do-it-all caliber.
What scope would be recommended for the .308 REM?
First you need to define a few things. Budget being the driving factor IMHO. Use being second. That will define what tier of scope you're looking at, and what magnification, turrets, and reticle you need. Leupold and Nikon are good value. Nighforce and US Optics are a step up. S&B is the "money's no factor" choice. There are lots of guides on this forum and elsewhere for choosing scopes. Read and search and get a feel for what's out there, then ask specific questions and the 12 lb brains on here can be more helpful.
I want to be able to utilize the maximum range.
Lots of guys like something around 15-22x for maximum range shots. Paper shooters use scopes even higher than that.
Something with a range finder built in would be nice.
Do you mean an actual laser RF or a ranging reticle? I've seen a few laser rangefinding scopes, but they don't seem to have caught on so much. On the other hand, ranging reticles are quite common. Mil-Dot is of course the .mil standard. Most companies have a variation of the mil-dot that are a little more user friendly. My NF scope has their MLR reticle. I find it a little easier to read than the true mil-dot.
I know a .308 REM can reach out further. I'm just not sure how far.
For targets, 1,000+. For humane kils on animals, 500+.

Making A Case For The 308 Winchester

I did mean Winchester. Sorry. It was Remington that will be the label on the military ACR versions. :D Thank you. I have looked and read many scope guides but they just give me the reading the scopes packaging feel. I wanted to know what people thought.

I heard.... READ MORE. Is that correct?? LOL

Many Thanks NOMAD.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.