Bushing Die Guys please read

If you do not resize the entire neck you will eventually form a donut inside the case of the neck. Would recommend changing to a bushing die that allows you to resize the entire neck or change to a standard die that allows you to resize the full length of the neck then order a mandrel to open the neck to your desired neck tension.
Incorrect.
You get a "Doughnut from when you size the neck thickness by "turning the neck". Where the neck meets the shoulder you can "Sometimes" end up with a Doughnut inside the case where the neck meets the shoulder after several firings. If you do end up with a Doughnut you can run an inside neck reamer to remove it.

I have a Redding bushing die for 30 nosler and it only sized down the neck about 20%, I ended up putting a .338 bushing on top to hold it down as the threaded bushing stopper screwed all the way down was allowing the bushing to get pushed up significantly. Still no idea why that was, it was like the threading stopped short in the die so the stopper ( whatever you call it ) was still about 1/4" from contacting the bushing even at its deepest point. Now I'm getting what I feel is typical, about 85% or so of the neck, but have to have that bigger bushing as a shim.

I will never FL size necks.
Nothing 'good' in it,, only bad
Just for my own information and learning. How do you "Never FL size necks".
When I FL a case it sizes the "whole case with the neck included".
I know some other reloaders that only resize the necks for the first several loads until the case starts to grow.
I do not understand your statement. Please help me so I can understand if I am doing something incorrect.
Your statement:
"I will never FL size necks. Nothing 'good' in it., only bad

Thanks
Len

You don't want the bushing to run the entire span of the neck, you will create donut issues. When you tighten down your die you want to hear the bushing moving ever so slightly. Perhap back off a 1/16th or so.

Tiny Tim
We must have different brand bushings. I just put both my RCBS and Redding Bushings under a magnifying glass and both ends are exactly the same. Both ends have a very slight chamfer. Doesn't really matter which end is up. I was told a long time ago when I first started using bushing that always look at the bushing and keep the letters facing up. (RCBS is on one end and Redding is on the side). Not because there was any difference, but to keep everything in your reloading process consistent. Do everything the same way all the time.
It's not much. My Redding. 270 bushing is .271 at the outer edge of the "entrance"on the stamped side and .282 on the other. That chamfer is blended very well.

How do you "Never FL size necks".
When I FL a case it sizes the "whole case with the neck included".
I don't use FL sizing dies.
I use body dies (for body & shoulder), and bushing neck dies (for partial neck sizing).
Most 'FL bushing' dies are body-bushing dies, and function as integrated to what I do. They're not actually FL dies.
There are true FL Bushing dies, which include full neck and shoulder in the bushing. These are among the most expensive reloading dies ever made, and suck completely. Don't buy or use them.

I adjust neck tension with neck sizing length (of a given down sizing). I don't seat bullet bearing into donut area, and I never exceed seated bearing length with my sizing length. If I FL sized necks, I would be bringing donut area into tension (bad variable), and causing binding on bearing-base junction of bullets (bad variable). In the history of reloading there has never been a 'need' to FL size necks, and there has never been a benefit in doing so. Zero gain -Only loss

Tiny Tim
We must have different brand bushings. I just put both my RCBS and Redding Bushings under a magnifying glass and both ends are exactly the same. Both ends have a very slight chamfer. Doesn't really matter which end is up. I was told a long time ago when I first started using bushing that always look at the bushing and keep the letters facing up. (RCBS is on one end and Redding is on the side). Not because there was any difference, but to keep everything in your reloading process consistent. Do everything the same way all the time.
Not sure what you have. All mine are chamfered on one side and there all Redding. They are all older bushings. Maybe the newer ones are chamfered on both ends. Regardless, the chamfer isn't enough to notice much difference in the length of the neck being sized. My FL neck dies allow nearly 100% of the neck to be sized. If I only want 75%, I adjust the bushing higher in the die

have to agree with VLD Pilot with the above statement. Haver been loading for over 55 years now. Back then there were no bushing dies so one plaid the adjustment game with the die adjustments. Then came the Neck dies and then the body dies that the Bench shooters were after.

I do NOT do 100 % of my necks when sizing... and again depends on what I am loading for and with what Rifle / pistol do have plenty of TC / JDJ barrels IE; 256 Win, 221 Fireball, various JDJ rounds.. so from the 17's up to the 338 Lapua / 50 BMG

I am honored that I got as much feedback as I did on this topic. Thanks as always. All that said, my final answer/opinion on the subject is that the reason we buy expensive dies, and expensive bushings and such is to have control over all of the accuracy contributing factors. These Hornady Dies do a very poor job of that. Many have argued in this thread about just how much of the neck they choose to size, and what the effects of that have been. My big issue is that other than neck diameter, I don't have a choice of how much neck I size. I get .190", that's it! I would say also, that the 6.5 PRC has a relatively short neck. What if I was using this brand and style dies/bushings for like a 6.5x55 Swede or a 6.5-06, or something with longer neck. Less than 1/2 of the neck would be sized. I'm not one of those guys that bashes products, but these dies were a huge waste of money, I think that the $40 lee FL sizers would have done just as good.

I have been a RCBS - Redding and Lyman, Forester along with ( L E WILSON ( for my Bench Guns ) Dies. Have never used Lee nor (Hornady except for their bullets ) . Have had many a wildcat rounds / dies made up for the two Green's. Since the Huntington times. I do not know the 6.5 PRC, so no remarks on that one.