Burris XTR 3 ...?

Well just got off phone with Burris. They told me the XTR 3 has exact same glass as the 2. So I'll be passing on that. The 2's glass was terrible. Thanks

Unless you just want to experiment I would agree with Frog4aday. Leave it alone. Devote your time to learning to shoot in the wind and perfect shooting technique. What caliber are you shooting?
Hahaha you must got the ****** who throws out boxes. It's definitely NOT the same glass.

I was wondering if I did. Everything I've read said it was completely different so I figured I'd just go to the horse....and that's what he told me. I'm assuming he's wrong and by your reply...he prob is. Thanks!

I have had one for almost 3 years now on my 6.5x47L. It is the 4 - 20x. I like it and the glass is very good. You may want to look at the Athlon scopes as well. I have not used one, but a good friend of mine who sees a lot of gear every year says they may be the best bargain there is in scopes.

I have had one for almost 3 years now on my 6.5x47L. It is the 4 - 20x. I like it and the glass is very good. You may want to look at the Athlon scopes as well. I have not used one, but a good friend of mine who sees a lot of gear every year says they may be the best bargain there is in scopes.

Thanks. Was referring to the XTR 3 though. Appreciate it though.

Yes, and I told you how well I like mine. Simply suggested you may want to look at the Athlon scopes. If I were in the market, I would compare the Athlon to my current Burris XTR iii. I know I am happy with my XTR iii. Have used it to engage targets to 1,100 yds, taken deer out to 500 yds with it. No issues, good glass, repeatable turrets.

Yes, and I told you how well I like mine. Simply suggested you may want to look at the Athlon scopes. If I were in the market, I would compare the Athlon to my current Burris XTR iii. I know I am happy with my XTR iii. Have used it to engage targets to 1,100 yds, taken deer out to 500 yds with it. No issues, good glass, repeatable turrets.

Out of curiosity, how have you had one for so long? I'm pretty sure they just came out in the middle of 2019 or the beginning of 2019 correct? I see the 4-20 in the XTR 2 but it's not offered in the XTR 3. Not questioning you, but I think we're referring to two different scopes.

I have several ti, carbon rifles. The only one that weighs right at 6# is a short action Razor-ti , 24" proof sendero lite, in a bare mcmillan game hunter edge. I have a Mesa Crux ti, 26" sendero 30 nosler in a manners eh4 that weighs right at 7#. Manners eh1, kelbly, proof sendero 300 norma improved, weighs almost 8#. Have 2 Tikka in carbon stocks w/ carbon barrels, both over 7#.
The seekins saves all its weight in the aluminum action and 21" barrel. The proof rifles have ti action and Uber light carbon stocks. I'm not calling you a liar but a deviant ultralight is 28oz, bdl bm spring follower & trigger is another 5-6. The proof barrel is 48oz, ti brake is 2-3oz. That's 5.3 # w/o stock+ bedding. I think the lightest mcmillan stock made is 24oz.
My current build is on a razor ti long action(21oz) ag composites Visigoth (28oz) proof sendero 26" 7mm barrel (52oz) I'm praying for 6.5# finished weight. A true 6# magum rifle w/ 26# barrel isn't easy to do. If you've accomplished this on a steel action, my hats off to you!
Sounds like you have been on the lightweight quest to the point of obsession LOL
I started chasing it then called 7+ good enough, my ~6+ was hard to shoot.

Sounds like you have been on the lightweight quest to the point of obsession LOL
I started chasing it then called 7+ good enough, my ~6+ was hard to shoot.
You are correct! I am starting to thin my heard. I love planning the build of a rifle abd the process of it, but then I don't shoot them as much they deserve. I will get down to a 5-6 gun battery for rifles and call it good. Right now there 20+ long guns in the safe? 7# is a good weight. 6# is honestly too light for more than 5-600yards. 8-9# is even nicer. My heavist rifle is a 338 rum that's 11.5# scoped and loaded. Lightest is a 5.5# 270. I'd shoot the rum all day over the forbes.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.