Burris XTR 2 vs Viper gen 2

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Cobus28, Feb 10, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Cobus28

Cobus28 Member

Would like some input and opinions on how the Burris XTR 2 and the Viper gen 2 differ from each other and experiences with them.

2. Just cut

Just cut Well-Known Member

Tag

3. Stk

Stk Well-Known Member

I’ve owned both in 5-25. Viper PST Gen II had better glass...Burris felt more robust. Both were quite large. I wouldn’t hesitate to use either one, but only if weight wasn’t a factor.

4. 86alaskan

86alaskan Well-Known Member

burris heavier, PST clearer. both track well and have decent click feel. But, seeing how they're both about the same price, the PST reticle offerings are better and the glass is hands down better. Plus, the PST is noticeably lighter, so if you're hunting with it, the PST would probably be the better choice.

Hand Skills likes this.
  5. Catahoula

Catahoula Well-Known Member

Tried the Viper. Could'nt sell it fast enough. Now I have the Burris & don't like it. The 34mm tube is too much for me. The more I try other stuff the more I love my Leupold scopes.
    Thanks

gusd likes this.
  6. 300whisper

300whisper Well-Known Member

I have used the XTR. Can't help with the Viper Vortex. Burris XTRs are tough, track well, and have good clarity. The SCR reticle is nice and simple to use. I have used it for hold overs out to 600 yards with great success. I did experience some downsides. They are pretty hefty and large. Also, during a comp, my shooting partners XTR completely washed out in the sun. I could not see the targets. It was a partnered switch rifles event. He saw the targets fine with my SWFA. It could have been a sun shade issue (lack of one), or my buddy was at a different angle to the sun. He was about 4 feet to my right. To say the least, it did frustrate me. If you bought one, I do not think you will be disappointed. It hits hard for its price point.

7. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

It’s the lack of a sunshade that washed out your ability to see.

300whisper likes this.
  8. Cobus28

Cobus28 Member

Thanks a bunch fellas! I was wondering because I can pick up a XTR for 775 and 800 right now or if I should just spend the extra cpl hundred and get a pst. I just wish I could look through the XTR and look for myself.

9. 257Tony

257Tony Well-Known Member

XTR III with Japanese glass should be available soon. Personally looking forward to a Veracity II with the HD glass.

10. DXHI

DXHI Well-Known Member

I actually just purchased a burris xtr ...the glass on my vortex of a "cheaper" model is much much clearer. The Burris is very robust and has very definitive clicks...
    I like my vortex (have not experienced a viper)..love my leupolds..leupold is going on my next 2 builds

11. 300whisper

Thanks. I figured. Definitely an extremely frustrating feeling not being able to see the targets.

12. the hunter

the hunter Well-Known Member

300whisper likes this.
  13. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

I’ve had it happen to every scope I own without a sunshade, the worst time I was on some elk last fall and couldn’t even make them out with my zeiss until my buddy cupped his hands in front of my lens, shading it.

14. 300whisper

At $775 you won’t be disappointed. They retail new for about $1250.

Cobus28 likes this.