Burris Signature Rings or Other?

Good

Hey guys, just picked up a Vortex HS-LR scope for the wife's 7 Rem Mag and am looking to buy rings. The Burris Signature rings with inserts look good, but I worry about the rigidity with only 1 clamping screw. The rifle is a Savage 110 with a small brake and Boyds laminate shooting 162 AMAXs. It has a Warne steel picatinny base that I bedded to the action.

Should I go with the Burris rings or something more conventional like the Seekins Precision rings I have on my Razor? Anyone have an opinion as to if the Burris rings will be up to the task?

If so, does the "low" correspond to the Seekins "low"? I haven't checked measurements yet.

Hey guys, just picked up a Vortex HS-LR scope for the wife's 7 Rem Mag and am looking to buy rings. The Burris Signature rings with inserts look good, but I worry about the rigidity with only 1 clamping screw. The rifle is a Savage 110 with a small brake and Boyds laminate shooting 162 AMAXs. It has a Warne steel picatinny base that I bedded to the action.

Should I go with the Burris rings or something more conventional like the Seekins Precision rings I have on my Razor? Anyone have an opinion as to if the Burris rings will be up to the task?

If so, does the "low" correspond to the Seekins "low"? I haven't checked measurements yet.
Although the 7 mag isnt among the heaviest in the recoil dept, it still produces a good bit. Vortex reccomends 15 inch pounds of tourqe on the ring screws. Ive had their scopes move in heavy recoiling guns with rings having 6 screws total each.
Apperently some add more rings to help with that. Id be wanting at least 2 screws
per side and try to cheat a little on the torque settings.

See if you can find a deal on Vortex Precision Matched rings. A while back I found them cheaper than Seekins......which the Vortex Precision are Seekins rings. They should hold up to your 7mm....they are top notch rings. Also recommend NightForce Ultra Light Rings or anything from Badger Ordnance.

Wayne

Here's my set of Seekins/ Vortex Precision Matched rings:

All of mine has 2 screws on each side ... 1st pix is on a .270 AI and the other on a .300 Win Mag.

P1020322_zpsa3f2c489.jpg

Last edited:
Don't cheap out on the rings. I've used Seekins Precision rings exclusively on all of my rifles for as long as I can remember, never had any problems. You can get them for ~$100... to me that's a small price to pay for the security of knowing the money I have invested in the scope is being held onto nice and snug.

The Burris Signatures hold up just fine.

I have a set on my unbraked sporter 338RUM holding a NF NXS 5.5-22x50. That's a pretty big test of ability.

They hold just fine. Great rings for the money.

The 30mm rings have two screws per side. I have used the Burris sigs on two 7mm saum's, approx. 10 lbs and 16 lbs. They work great. POI has never shifted.

So....You can spend good money on the scope $1K-$2K and then about the same or more for the rifle.....then try and save $100 or less on the interface ( rings ) that you mount the scope in. As was said....Don't take the cheap route just because it can work....protect you investment in the scope and it will serve you well for many years...IMHO. There are plenty of guys in my area that swear NcStar makes The Best rings....and they've been using them for years.

So here's the specs on the Vortex / Seekins rings as posted by Midway:

Vortex Precision Matched Rings start with certified USA 7075-T6 billet aluminum and are held to an extremely tight tolerance of .0005 using a precision Computer Numeric Controlled (CNC) mill. Precision Matched Rings are kept in pairs throughout the manufacturing process ensuring perfection from one set to another. These Vortex rings are then serialized, vibratory tumbled, hand-bead blasted and finished off with a military standard Type III hard coat anodize.

Technical Information

Material: 7075-T6 billet aluminum

$129.99

Burris listed on Midway:

The revolutionary Signature design produces consistent accuracy, tremendous gripping power and stress-free mounting. These steel rings include a pivoting synthetic insert that increases the scope-to-ring mounting surface while protecting the scope finish. Additional ***-Align Offset Inserts can be purchased (sold separately) to correct any misalignment of receiver holes or rings or even to provide additional windage and elevation adjustment.

Technical Information

Material: Steel

Style: Weaver

Ring Diameter:30 mm

On sale for $56.99

The only thing cheap in the Burris signature zee rings with inserts is the price tag. They are just as tough as my SAKO rings (also with inserts) costing twice or more.

In addition, Burris signature zee rings with inserts does not require lapping and comes with up to 20 MOA offsets if you need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing cheap in the Burris signature zee rings with inserts is the price tag. They are just as tough as my SAKO rings (also with inserts) costing twice or more.

In addition, Burris signature zee rings with inserts does not require lapping and comes with up to 20 MOA offsets if you need it.

The Burris Signature Ring Mounting System - YouTube

Maybe you're on to something there.....perhaps you do have a reason to be upset with what you paid for the Tikka rings. Maybe they come from the same source as Burris...I don't know, I've never seen or used a Tikka ring. I do own a few pairs of Burris Signatures....and I use them on my rimfire rifles. The OP was asking to compare the Burris to the Vortex / Seekins. What I posted above......you really can't compare the two. Vortex / Seekins actually lists: their tolerances, that they are serialized after machining, what material the rings are made from and what the finish is. Burris states they are steel and basically they have the plastic inserts. Burris is interested in selling a bunch of accessories, including rings. The way to keep costs down, and it's smart on their part, loosen up machine / stamping tolerances and use the plastic inserts to make up for the tolerances. Makes good business sense. But there really is no good way to compare the two. Do the Signature rings work....Yes, as do many others...including NcStar. But I contend.....if you want to protect your investment and want to maintain tight tolerances between receiver, base and rings......then go Seekins, Badger, Near, Farrell....or other manufacturers that machine to tight tolerances and in pairs that I can't think of.

This isn't meant as a p!ssing contest......just that their is a big difference between the rings the OP asked about. For me and those in my shooting circle......it's worth the $75-$100 over the cost of the Signature rings....and we don't like to waste our hard earned money. But, we feel, we've reduced most of the variables that influence accurate shooting down to the Nut pulling the trigger by trying to maintain tight tolerances in our equipment.

Wayne

Maybe you're on to something there.....perhaps you do have a reason to be upset with what you paid for the Tikka rings. Maybe they come from the same source as Burris...I don't know, I've never seen or used a Tikka ring. I do own a few pairs of Burris Signatures....and I use them on my rimfire rifles. The OP was asking to compare the Burris to the Vortex / Seekins. What I posted above......you really can't compare the two. Vortex / Seekins actually lists: their tolerances, that they are serialized after machining, what material the rings are made from and what the finish is. Burris states they are steel and basically they have the plastic inserts. Burris is interested in selling a bunch of accessories, including rings. The way to keep costs down, and it's smart on their part, loosen up machine / stamping tolerances and use the plastic inserts to make up for the tolerances. Makes good business sense. But there really is no good way to compare the two. Do the Signature rings work....Yes, as do many others...including NcStar. But I contend.....if you want to protect your investment and want to maintain tight tolerances between receiver, base and rings......then go Seekins, Badger, Near, Farrell....or other manufacturers that machine to tight tolerances and in pairs that I can't think of.

This isn't meant as a p!ssing contest......just that their is a big difference between the rings the OP asked about. For me and those in my shooting circle......it's worth the $75-$100 over the cost of the Signature rings....and we don't like to waste our hard earned money. But, we feel, we've reduced most of the variables that influence accurate shooting down to the Nut pulling the trigger by trying to maintain tight tolerances in our equipment.

Wayne

I never said I was upset with what I paid for my SAKO rings nor made it a p!ss!ng contest other than sharing real world hands on experience to help the OP in his decision making process.

I use the Burris signature rings and it has nothing to do with price, I can afford whatever I want. I use them because they work. I can get 20 MOA of off set in elevation and they don't leave marks on my scopes.
I have them on two 7mm mags a 280AI and a 338 RUM without problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.