Burris scopes for long range hunting

chris matthews

I need a new scope for my .308. I use it for shot out to 600 yards. The popular method seems to be zero at 100 and click up for the rest. I was cosidering a signature model in 6-24 power with the target turrets. What I need to know is are the clicks repeatable and basically if it's any good? Or should I stick with Leupold? I tried a Tasco target scope first and the elevation turret broke (POI kept dropping) and it developed a blotch in the upper left quadrant. This was during the break in of the rifle!!! Sent it back to Tasco and after a couple of months and nasty phone calls(from me) I supposedly upgraded to their Tactical model, but now the AO is messed up. Anything above 20x won't focus at all and anything below focuses about twice the actual distance. I'm losing valuable shooting time and I want a reliable scope. Can I get it done with the Burris? Many thanks.

Not that I know it all, but I use a Leupold Mark 4 M3 6X on my custom .308 Winchester singlr shot that I use out to 600-800 meters in matches...it uses a BDC for the .308 and reproduces results perfectly...it's also a Mil-Dot system for hold-over work with range and wind that once you get used to is a pure joy to long-range work if you've worked the ballistics...good luck

Dead

PS: I own a Burris Signature 6-24X and it's a scope I use for load workups on several rifle...clear, clean, good AO...

I have several Burris 6x24 with mil dots the first ones I have they worked great my last one Iam in the process of sending it back for the 3rd time it well not hold zero. Twice now on hunting trips it has failed me the other 4 I have work great. I went to burris's because like you Tasco customer serive along with their scopes wasn't very good. We well see what burris dose about this one Even if I get it back I don't know if I can trust it on another trip.

I am building an AR-10 with a 26 inch barrel, 168 gr bullet.
I want to shoot out to 800-1000 yds. effectively...
Will a Leupold 4.5-14x50 scope be sufficient?
All opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

I need a new scope for my .308. I use it for shot out to 600 yards. The popular method seems to be zero at 100 and click up for the rest. I was cosidering a signature model in 6-24 power with the target turrets. What I need to know is are the clicks repeatable and basically if it's any good? Or should I stick with Leupold? I tried a Tasco target scope first and the elevation turret broke (POI kept dropping) and it developed a blotch in the upper left quadrant. This was during the break in of the rifle!!! Sent it back to Tasco and after a couple of months and nasty phone calls(from me) I supposedly upgraded to their Tactical model, but now the AO is messed up. Anything above 20x won't focus at all and anything below focuses about twice the actual distance. I'm losing valuable shooting time and I want a reliable scope. Can I get it done with the Burris? Many thanks.

What is your budget? I use a Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope with a Vortex Custom Turret. The reticule hash marks and the turret clicks match. You can get them in Mrad or MOA. I would not recommend a scope with MOA clicks and Mil hash marks. Mine returns to any elevation click time after hundreds of times.

I have it mounted on a EGW 20 MOA Picatinny rail. With my zero sighted in at 200 yds. it gives me plenty of elevation past 1,000 yds. I use are Burris Extreme Tactical "LOW" rings.

I think this scope is a better one than Leopold IMHO. It sells for about $949.00.

This is the target I shot at 1,000 yds with this scope. The three 5 shot groups scores and sizes are in the lower right. A perfect score for 5 shots is 50 points. Not to bad for a hunting rifle. All 15 shots would have hit an antelope in its boiler room.

joseph

PS: As for magnification if you need or want more and you don't have it "OH WELL".

Attachments

• 1000 yd. target.JPG
    1000 yd. target.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 129
I am building an AR-10 with a 26 inch barrel, 168 gr bullet.
I want to shoot out to 800-1000 yds. effectively...
Will a Leupold 4.5-14x50 scope be sufficient?
All opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Do you realize that you replied to a 12 year old thread and changed the topic?

Is this scope for target shooting or hunting?

Honestly, I don't care how old the thread is as long as I get an answer, and I did.

Thank you for your opinion and validation with picture, much appreciated.
S/F

Honestly, I don't care how old the thread is as long as I get an answer, and I did.

Thank you for your opinion and validation with picture, much appreciated.
S/F

Easy there Hoss! :D

Glad that you got your question answered. You probably would have gotten more helpful inputs if you just started a new post, esp. for a new member. However, you did not even gave Bruce the opportunity to help.

With all due respect to other posters, he's one of the site sponsors and resident subject matter experts esp. in the optics world. Check out his website ... lots of info to help end-users.

Good luck and welcome nonetheless.

I have been using BURRIS scopes for around 20 years and have never had one fail or let me down
I have two that have been beaten to death and stay on target.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.