Burris rifle scopes?

Apex Custom Rifles

Official LRH Sponsor
I recently won an outstanding offer to get just about any burris optic for a price I can't refuse. Therefor, I need to find a scope to get. I have never used a burris, nor do I know anyone that uses them. Most my scopes are Leupolds, or Nikons.

I was thinking a 16 max power and those ballistic plexes are kinda cool. Don't want one of those Eliminator scopes.

Just wondering if anyone has anything good to say about maybe the black diamond, the XTR, signature select, the tactical scopes, or any of the upper end Burris scopes I guess.

I have had every Burris scope except an XTR. I think for the money they are great scopes. The Ballistic Mil Dot is my favorite reticle they offer and using it I was able to shoot basketball sized rocks out to 700 yards with my 300 WSM last Saturday.

I feel the side focus on the Black Diamonds is really light, it almost seems to me that it's broken but it works. I don't know how to describe it other than I just feel it should take more pressure to turn. The optics are great though! I've never dialed for elevation for long shots but when sighting in the clicks were right on the money. They are an excellent scope in my book.

The XTR to my understanding is basically just a Black Diamond with target turrets and a better hydrophobic coating on the lenses. I've only looked through one very briefly and didn't notice any difference (for better or worse) between it and my Black Diamond.

The Signature Select series is truly I think one of the most under rated scopes out there. I have the 4-16 with a Ballistic Plex reticle (I will be sending it in to get the Ballistic Mil Dot when I get the money). The glass is truly amazing. I've heard that it has all the same lenses (including the internal ones) as the XTR and Black Diamond and that's how they can advertise that their internal lenses are bigger than most standard 1 inch scopes. Again, I've never dialed for elevation but when sighting in the clicks were dead on.

The Fullfield Series are great scopes but they're just not in the same class as the others I've mention earlier and if you're getting a great deal you might as well go higher up in quality. However, if you wanted a Fullfield the 6.5-20x is the best optically and has a superb image for a sub $500 scope.

If I had the same chance as you, my decision would honestly be based on what you really need it for and more importantly how much can you actually spend. I LOVE my Black Diamonds and hope to own an XTR one day in the near future and would recommend either one without hesitation. If money is at all a concern I would go with the Signature Select and make sure it comes with target turrets (so you can dial for elevation if you want) and the Ballistic Mil Dot reticle. I don't think you'd regret buying any of them.

Their glass has always seemed a little better than Lupy's to me. They are a little
heavier. Their reticles were always guaranteed on a spring pellet gun when most
manufacturers wouldn't. I think they missed the direction the market was going
and haven't been heard from lately. You won't be disappointed by their quality.
Hopefully they'll have the features you want.

Thanks for the info, expense for this deal will not be an issue. I would like to have a longer range scope maybe shooting out to 1,000 or so. I'm going to put it on ether my future .338 RUM, or I have a nice .308 Norma sitting around naked.

Given your requirements and no financial issues, I'd say the 4-16x XTR with the Ballistic Mil Dot will give you exactly what you want. It's actually the scope I hope to put on my first dedicated long range rig in the next few years.

Given your requirements and no financial issues, I'd say the 4-16x XTR with the Ballistic Mil Dot will give you exactly what you want. It's actually the scope I hope to put on my first dedicated long range rig in the next few years.

+1 on the XTR or Black Diamond. Nice scopes for the money just not as popular as some of the others who spend big $$ on advertising.

Jon

I have two shooting buddies who have the 8-32 black diamond on their 50BMG AR50's and have had really good performance. I shoot their rifles as much as they do and we have had no problems with zero shift. The adjustments also work very well. Optically I would say they are better than Leupold and just as good as my 5.5-22 nightforce. The only issue with the 8-32 is the small range of adjustment compared to a lot of "tactical" long range scopes.

I have one of the 6-24 XTR's, it's played double duty on my AR-10 and my 338RUM (which now wears a MK4). It's taken a good beating, never failed to hold zero or adjust precisely & is still going strong. Glass is great, i've been very happy with that end, mine does wear the 1moa elevation adjustments which is somewhat bitter sweet. The only real caveat being, this thing is HEAVY! Built like a freaking tank, other than that, I would recommend the XTR over the fullfields I had (both were flawless). Just up and up better scope.

I own 3 Burris 3x-12x pistol scopes. 2 Burris signature 8x-32x and 2 Black Diamonds. The 6x-24 was on my 338 Ultra mag and I needed a scope for my 308 tactical so I put the 6x-24 Black Diamond on it and bought an 8x-32x Black Diamond to put back on my 338 Ultra mag.
I would go with the 6x-24x Black Diamond for your 338 Ultra mag, you will need and like the extra power, you will not be dissappointed.
Tarey

Thanks everyone for the replys. Sounds like the general consensus is the Black Diamond, or the XTR. These are the two I have been leaning toward. You guys are right too about the power, If I throw it on my 338 RUM, maybe the higher power would be the way to go.

Just as info, My cousin bought one at Cabelas(it was the cheaper line and came with binos) and put it on a Ruger 7 mag. We went to sight it in, and two shots in, the thing looked like you were looking through it backwards. Not sure what happened, but the internals busted all lose. That being said, Cabelas swapped it out no problem, but his rifle now wears a Leupold. That was his first Burris to try out, and he swears his last. I know many others that haven't had any issues in 10 years with one, but just as info. The glass is great quality though.
Nimrod

We have two of the fullfields and a black diamond and they have always functioned very well. I am embarrassed to say the Black Diamond has been drop tested more than I care to admit and never had to be re-zeroed. :rolleyes:

Have 2 (3x9) FFIIs, one Six series 2x12 and one 1x4 XTR. Had a 4.5 x 14 FFII. All very good scopes. Good glass. Positive adjustments. Would recommend Burris.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.