Burris or Nikkon?

Lazerus

Just had a 6.5 284 Norma built, I have settled on a 4.5-14 scope power and am thinking about a Burris full field 2 or a Nikkon Buckmasters. Keton industries will build me target turrets for both of these scopes..Anybody have an opinnon on which one might be better?

What is your price target?

Neither one of those scopes inspires me at all. They're "budget" scopes that give "budget" performance.

In optics you really do get what you pay for. If those are the only two scopes you'd consider I'd take the Burris first but not by much.

I have two Burris Fullfield E1 scopes (2-7x35, 3-9x40). For their price point the optics are above average - the glare is surprisingly low. The turrets are accurate. These scopes have good reputation for durability. They are lightweight, so I use good rings and lap them to avoid stressing the scope.

These are not LR scopes, though. I have the 2-7X on a lever gun (my woods rifle) and the 3-9X on An AR coyote rifle. I like the E1 reticle for short- medium range hunting.

I haven't shot with the 4.5-14x42, but my quick inspection at the SHOT Show suggests the optics are again above average for their price point. Personally, I would not go with the either the ballistic plex or E1 reticle, but rather a good mildot.

The vertical elevation adjustment is only 40 IPHY. I would recommend you consider the E1 reticle, and use the lowest crosshair (for 500 yds) to aim when dialing for longer range shots. That will buy you another 10 MOA of elevation, so it will be like having 60 IPHY of total adjustment. The E1 reticle will give you something for windage holdoff.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.