Burris Eliminator III Updates? Not Discussed for quite awhile

LDHunter

I am incensed by the Burris Eliminator III and I am having a hard time finding any discussions here that aren't at least a year old regarding them. Even the review done by Roger Seale is over 5 years old.

I work a lot of hours and simply don't have time for all the work and effort involved in ballistics and scope adjustments and frankly to me it's frustrating.

As I read all the specs and the good review done on it here I become more and more interested. Here in Florida as far I imagine it is totally legal to use on all non-game animals because we can use night vision and thermal at night for all non-game animals. I'll try to find out of they're legal on game animals but I can't imagine why not.

They're for sale all over the place and reviews are mostly very good but the authority on long range hunting is usually found right here on LR Hunting and I highly value the opinions of most of the hunters here.

So that we don't end up with a lot of quoting the obvious... I'm aware that it's BUTT UGLY and heavy as a boat anchor. Well.... I guess 26 oz isn't quite a boat anchor. :)
Yes and it's battery operated and batteries do fail but what's to stop the hunter from replacing the cheap battery (CR123) just before an important hunt and keeping a couple of spares with him or her?
The parallax adjustment is at the objective lens and I hate that but I don't know where else they could have put it.
One more thing... Did I mention that it's BUTT UGLY? ;)

So the model I'm interested in is the Eliminator III 4-16x50 with the remote although I have NO idea what the remote does. It is possible that it's been quietly upgraded since the original models were released but maybe not. There are features mentioned in the link below that nobody mentioned in the older reviews or threads.
https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/eliminator-iii-laserscope?hp-t2

Here's the user guide for those that like to read.
https://www.burrisoptics.com/sites/default/files/content/products/manuals/eliminatoriiiuserguide.pdf

So..... Anybody on here using one? If so I'd really like to hear about it.

I haven't ever owned one, but I have guided several guys that have them. They all really liked them for the reasons you mentioned, everything is in one package, no need to carry a range finder. They are also faster than ranging and then getting behind the gun. I keep hoping a 4th gen will come out that is smaller, less butt ugly, and with top tier glass.

I have 4 on different coyote guns. For chasing dogs where things tend to happen quickly they are the best thing since sliced bread. That being said the quality of glass is lacking compared to my other scopes sitting on my big game rifles. I've started my savings fund for the new Swarovski.

I have 4 on different coyote guns. For chasing dogs where things tend to happen quickly they are the best thing since sliced bread. That being said the quality of glass is lacking compared to my other scopes sitting on my big game rifles. I've started my savings fund for the new Swarovski.

I didn't realize that Swarovski made one. I googled it up and apparently it looks MUCH more like a rifle scope and isn't BUTT UGLY but it weighs 38.4oz or almost 2.5 pounds which is 12oz more than the Burris. Admittedly it probably has WAY better glass and I like the communication with smart phones but the $4500 price tag has me gasping... LOL

I have 2. One has been used extensively. The more I use it the less I like it. Features are amazingly easy to use. Very easy to hit targets at extended ranges.

BUT........the glass is terrible. (for the price) Rangefinder is OK but can struggle on cloudy days. When I use it next to good glass (e.g., Zeiss, nightforce, March) I struggle wanting to use it. There was a rumor not long ago that nightforce and gunwerks were working on a quality scope that would be a huge step up from Burris eliminator.

Yes when comparing glass to the others you mentioned it falls short but so do most. The glass is not as bright as say vortex but it is decent. Heck my Leica are not as bright as vortex mid day but when the sun gets low the Leica still work better. So even if it's darker does t mean it's not good. It's on pair with most of the scopes in the lower price range like Prostaff 5 and other entry level quility glass.

All good objective input guys. I do appreciate it. I think Burris was probably trying to hit a price point that would help the Eliminators sell well and in doing so they gained a lot of criticism due the mediocre lens quality.

I'm on the fence regarding whether to buy now or wait for something with better glass, looks, size and weight.

It's always a tough call when you want a particular type of gear but you know that something better is probably right around the corner especially in this world where electronics are advancing at a dizzying pace and as they approach maturity the price usually plummets.

I would say just find a good buy on one and do it. My dad loves his and he has decent optics on a lot of his stuff. He loves the fact he has everything in one package on the rifle. He's never been a long range guy and has almost no experience with it but his very first shot at 400 yards with his creed he was hitting the vitals gong on our bear target.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.