Burris Eliminator III Scope Review

ADMIN

Administrator
I have to admit I was very skeptical about how well the Burris Eliminator III scope would function. But my skepticism was quickly replaced by amazement. From 100 yards to 1166 yards, the scope, laser and trajectory of the bullet were mapped precisely, and in a fraction of the time it takes to range, dope and shoot my regular guns. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Burris Eliminator III Scope Review, By Roger Seale. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

It sounds like the III model is a first focal plane design. Did you try to see if the reticule light was changed by a magnification change?

The older models would only range in their highest power and create a serious error if they were used at a lower magnification.

If the FFP works, it would be a significant improvement.

I own the Eliminator III and it is a great scope. Side by side comparison with my S&B 4x16 PH is just like I thought it would be, S&B hands down better glass but we all knew how that would turn out. It does have better clarity that my 4.5X 30 Bushnell Elite set at 16 power. After sighting in at 100 yards I mover to 750 yards. I was shooting a 16"x18" steel gong with a spray painted black 4" diameter bulls eye. First 3 rounds hit in a 4" group just left of the bull and I believe this was due to spin drift. I have wind flags all the way to the 750 yard line and the morning was very still. I shot the rifle at 750, 600, 500 and 400 yards. Just aim,range and shoot, it is that simple. Burris states the scope red dot aiming point does not change at different power settings. I verified this by shooting at 12, 14 and 16 power settings. You cannot go wrong buying the scope. It is the future in optics. It isn't cheep but what is these days?
BTW- The rifle used has a trued Remington action with a Pac Nor 308 tight bore Palma chambered 4 groove barrel.

While I like the concept for target shooting, I'm not wild about using any of the Eliminator scopes for hunting. Aside from the lack of any way to attach an anti-cant indicator, there is the issue of glare. All of the eliminator scopes that I've seen - and I've seen samples of every model Burris has sold - had poor stray light management. The image contrast was worse than any conventional scope I've seen, except for a few cheap scopes below $100.

The target image that the author published has low contrast, but I don't know what the conditions were (could have been a hazy or foggy day). Can you imagine trying to find a deer in the shadows with low contrast like that?

For anti cant control I ordered a SA zero moa base from extreme hardcore gear. It has a level mounted on the end of the base. It is small but I have no trouble seeing the bubble. I have used the scope for daytime and late evening hog hunting and I have no issues seeing the hogs except in very, Very dim light. With the S&B and my Swarovski Z6 I can shoot about 10 minutes more and game in the bush background is easily seen. It all comes down to what you want to pay for optics. I would say that 75% of my shooting is target shooting but I am not leaving my Burris at home when I hunt. It works just fine for my old man eyes. I am like most hunters, when I see game at long ranges and when I try to remember scope settings, range and wind data my brain has turned to jelly. I love the aim, range and shoot setup.

Well I now own one and I'm waiting for my stock which is getting a camo film dip. It's going on a Savage 111 LRH in 300 Win. Mag. I too am going to mount it on a Tru Level Picatinny Rail Scope Mount Base.

That is certainly interesting technology, Im a target shooter at heart and an occasional hunter, so for target shooting that scope certainly takes all of the things I find most interesting out of the equation. Range, aim, shoot, and hit would get boring pretty fast for me.
But for the guy on a once in a lifetime hunt in some far off land or even a once in a lifetime draw tag in his backyard that scope may be the ticket. For instance my father in law applies every year trying to get bighorn sheep tag in Eastern Washington. this technology could easily make the differnece between filling that tag or going home empty handed.

I agree. I have the scope and with it comes a high quality rangefinder. I will be headed to southern Colorado for at least 10 days in the mountains and I want every edge I can get. I'm 56 and just had my second major low back surgery in March so I will need all the help I can get as this ain't no cakewalk hunt. 10 to 12 miles on horseback to remote camp and go from there. God I can't wait.

Hey Good luck on your hunt, sounds like a great trip. I hope you have a speedy and full recovery from your back surgery, I know that can be a bad one. Keep us posted

Will do and thanks for the wishes. I should have my stock back this week or next and once I get it back together I'll post some pics of it.

Just last week, I took a couple out for some LR shooting. She had never really used a rifle for distance shooting. She had first shot connections using the E-3 at 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards. Her first miss was at 600 yards, as some form issues were significant enough to cause a miss. But before long she was hitting out to 600 yards and then we came back at 400 and 500 yards and worked on form more and shots began to cluster.
The husband made consistent hits all the way to 1,000 yards with it.

This is the second lady I have done this with with success.
Here is some other experiences I have had with the E-3:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/1st-time-out-w-my-burris-eliminator-iii-1k-98506/

Yes I read your review before and that was the turning point for my decision to buy one of these scopes. I just can't wait to get things together and go shooting. Thanks for the review.

Thats great about being able to have a new/less experienced shooter get the confidence to go out on a hunt or even just get hits at the range to make shooting a sport that they enjoy.
Like I said the difficulty is what is appealing to me but this is great for those who want to just go out and be able to hunt without the added difficulty associated with ballistics, if the physical aspects of hunting are a huge hurdle adding complicated ballistics/math on top of it can easily be the diffenrence between someone going out and being succsessful as opposed to not going out at all because its just too much.

And then if you look what a soldier deals with, this technology if it were bulletproof and reliable could really give an edge to the guy risking his life for our country. So im glad to see this is availible even though its not something I will personally be interested in

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.