Bumping the shoulder

It would be nice if you had a "widget". I always make one for my customers when I chamber a BR rifle for them. It is a peice of bbl. that I run the reamer in just enough to get the neck and shoulder part of the chamber. After de-capping a fired case you insert the case in the "widget" and measure with the calipers. Measure again after sizing to determine amount of "bump" I also face off the other end about .020" past the mouth of the neck for a quick visual length guage.

[ QUOTE ]
It would be nice if you had a "widget". I always make one for my customers when I chamber a BR rifle for them. It is a peice of bbl. that I run the reamer in just enough to get the neck and shoulder part of the chamber. After de-capping a fired case you insert the case in the "widget" and measure with the calipers. Measure again after sizing to determine amount of "bump" I also face off the other end about .020" past the mouth of the neck for a quick visual length guage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes this is what I do--removes any and all doubt!!!! The trick is to have the "widget" made when the barrel is installed!

It is nice to have the "Widget" made at the time of barreling but, not critical. If you have a cartridge with a 30 degree shoulder (or any other angle for that matter) you can set the compound at that angle and make a "Widget". It doesn't require a reamer.

[ QUOTE ]
It is nice to have the "Widget" made at the time of barreling but, not critical. If you have a cartridge with a 30 degree shoulder (or any other angle for that matter) you can set the compound at that angle and make a "Widget". It doesn't require a reamer.

[/ QUOTE ]

DocEd's got the right idea! I hold the size on mine so that when I measure a case I subtract 1" from the reading, it gives me the actual headspace measurement. I've made one for every cartridge I reload.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.