Bumped shoulder too far

Josh06

So I bumped the shoulder too far back on my 30-06ai brass. So far that I'm getting case head separation on every round. I'm planning to pull bullets out so they are jammed into the lands and basically re-fireform. Posting this to see if there are any better ideas out there other than necking up and making a false shoulder. Thanks!

I don't think this is going to help as the brass is still going to stretch to fill the chamber. how many firings on the brass?

I don't think this is going to help as the brass is still going to stretch to fill the chamber. how many firings on the brass?
This is the 5th firing. It's Lapua 30-06. I'm thinking I may have to go ahead and set the false shoulder on a few and see how that works. Good thing is it's only 29 pieces so if it doesn't work won't be a terrible loss.

How hot is the load, and can you afford to shoot the bullets jammed into the lands? If so, then just use a puller/kinetic puller to increase the length enough to reseat them to a .010 jammed length. This will keep the case head against the bolt face as the firing pin strikes the primer and allow the shoulder to blow back out without stretching the case. I think that's what your asking, but your last line seems you are also considering necking up, to form the false shoulder and proceed that way.

At least with a 30-06 you can get a cheap case extractor.

Last edited:
I get your thinking on trying to save this brass, but my concern would be scarring the chamber if it doesn't work. Talking from experience here, even one case head separation is to much in my opinion. My gunsmith cuts my 30-06 AI chambers so I can feel a slight resistance when chambering a new 30-06 case for fire forming. This is done to eliminate any case problems. Kind of got off track here, but I would gut those rounds and trash the brass.

And he will still be in the same boat trying to form new brass. Jam them into the lands with a mild load and pretty good neck tension and you will be fine ive done this with probably close to 1,000 cases forming to AI which moves the shoulder forward alot.

What if the OP used the cream of wheat and red dot method? Could his cases be saved and the risk of a case head separation be eliminated? He may be able to get the brass to fire form to his chamber with less pressure.

On a piece of hydraulically dimpled 375 CT brass I used 25 grains of Red Dot then filled the rest of the case up with cream of wheat and topped it with cotton set it off in my garage and it expanded the brass to my chamber dimensions. Im pretty sure that is way less pressure than 138 grains of H50BMG or 132 grains of Retumbo.

25 grains works for a .375 CT but may be too much for a 3006. Anyone know what the 3006 charge?

Okay, I've already pulled them all so I'm going to load with a grain or so less powder jammed into the lands. If the first one separates I'll scrap the brass. Thank you for all the responses.

He could, how far do you think a shoulder moves fireforming to AI? Alot more than .015
So do you agree that the cream of wheat method could work and avoid the case head separation issue? I just don't know what sort of charge of red dot a 3006 case would need.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.