Bullets won't pull

hugheserj

Hi All,

A few months ago I loaded up a few rounds and would now like to pull them to recover the powder as I have rebarrelled the rifle in another calibre. It's only 20 rounds and I wouldn't be so worried about if H1000 was a bit easier to come by....

I have tried to pull them in a collet puller and it managed to do a few but most are so tight the puller can't grip them properly. I have also tried with my RCBS Power Pull hammer and that won't budge them either. I have never had issues pulling rounds in the past.

Has anyone got any experience with this happening, it is like the projectiles are welded in the case, and what suggestions are there to recover the powder?

For reference, all the components were in excellent condition, once fired, tumbled and annealed norma brass, sierra gamechanger projectiles, loaded with RCBS FL die set (no crimp).

Thanks,
Ed

It sounds like cold welding as the others have said. You need to break the bullet loose and it is much easier to do by pushing the bullet in rather than trying to pull it out.

FYI, this is why pressures and velocities are increased with cold welded ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.