Bullets that explode

remcraz

I have a 7mm stw that i am shooting 160gr accubond that is cronograghed at 3131 and they are blowing up before they reach the target and are only tearing the paper not penatrating theplywood does anybody have an answer
thanks ted

Have you downloaded it slower? What twist? How do other bullets and other weights work for you?

TRY SLOWING THEM DOWN A LITTLE HAD SOME NOSLERS IN A 22-250 GOING AROUND 4200 AND THAY LEFT A VAPOR TRAIL BEHIND THEM AND TORE THE PAPER AT A 100 YARDS IN ODD PATTERENS.
JUST MY .02 WORTHgun)

Ok i will take this a step forward. I am shooting the bullets that biv-wak say are seconds and to my asking why they were seconds they said they were a overflow of the bullets they made for winchester and the only difference is that they have the red tip. I lined the gun up with the regular accubonds 160gr with no problem at all but when i shot the red tip 160gr accubond all blew up and is the speed of 3131 to fast for this bullet
thanks ted

I am shooting 76gr of 7828 and the twist is 9.5 and all other bullets shoot great. This is a new barrel that krieger put together for me and is 27in long
thanks ted

I would be surprised that an Accubond would come apart at that velocity, I run 140's out of my 270WSM at 3340 and there is no hint of blowing, even hitting soft targets at close range they just mushroom farther.
The best way to tell for sure is move in closer and shoot through paper, you will see the shot gun effect if they are blowing. 3131 just doesn't seem like enough:rolleyes:

I have the target on 1/2 in plywood and when i shot the red tip 160gr accubond bullets i noticed it was on target but the paper was tearing more and more and when i went to check it did not have any holes in the plywood just the paper was tore. The only thing is the white tip accubonds didnt blow up and i shot maybe 20 times with no problems. I bought 1200 of the red tip 160gr accubonds on biv-wak this maybe bad bullets.
Thanks ted

Do you have any of the white tipped accubonds left? I would shoot a few to make sure it isn't maybe something else. You might be one of the lucky ones who got a fluke bad barrel. Not likely but you never know.

Brent

I'd try to get my money back for those bullets. I think there's more to the "seconds" than just the red tips. Have you cut any of those bullets open? Do they in fact weigh 160gns? Sounds like someone forgot to add the lead! Or maybe too thin of a jacket.
I shoot the 150gn Ballistic Tip at 3200fps out of my 7mag and it performs great. I took a 250-300lbs black bear in August at 12 steps with this rifle/bullet. It went through both shoulders and put him down. The AccuBond is tougher than that. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.