bullets still blowing up

B Jordan

a while ago i posted about my 22-243 1x8twist blowing up the 75gr a-maxes well i got some nosler 80 grns in today and i have the very same problem only it seems worse i cleaned the barrel and shot 12 shots 2 foullers 1 of them blowed up and then the best 10 shot group i ever shot with 2 of them not reaching the target this gun shoots extremely well but i cannot get the bullets to hold together i got a few 80 grn sierras tonight from a buddy of mine and i will try them in the morning but i think they have the same jacket as the noslers

anybody got any suggestions?

are the 80grn noslers built on a j-4 jacket?

is my twist to fast? should i have went with a 1x9?

thanks for any help you can give me ,Brian

[ QUOTE ]
are the 80grn noslers built on a j-4 jacket?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
anybody got any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try some 80 gr Amaxs or call Hornady and get the lot # of the newer 75 Amaxs that they toughened up. They used a thicker jacket on these. Should stand 3800 to 3900 fps according to Lonnie Hummel. He shoots the 80 gr in his 22-6mm rem and has done well @ a few 1000 yd matches.

I'd either try moly coating the A-Max bullets or switching to the 80gr SMK bullet. If you can dust a SMK then you've got a serious problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.