Bullets similar to Hammers

jevyod

I am getting a 280 AI, plan on shooting the absolutes from it. Are there any 7mm bullets that would be good to practice with for a cheaper shooting load? Load suggestions are welcome....I have over a pound of R19 that I hope will work for my practice load. I also have a mostly full bottle of 7828 but not the SSC version... The private range where I shoot limits out at 500 yards, so probably not much shooting beyond that. Just wanting some loads to familiarize myself to the gun...when the real work starts I will break out the Hammers.

I agree to a point, but if a guy is just breaking in a barrel and forming brass, it could be a valid question ..

OP didnt state which Hammers he is using but for the 140gr Absolutes, I think a Nosler 120gr ballistic tip has a similar BC and could be pushed to a similar speed. Similar BC at a similar speed might get a guy in the ballpark

The absolutes get pushed faster than other bullets their same weight so a lighter bullet will match their speed like @Hand Skills mentioned.

At a $1.00 a bullet average it can be hard to use it as a practice round especially if you shoot a hundred or several hundred rounds a month.

Are you shooting the 140gr or 155gr Absolute? For the 140gr a 120gr bullet like Ballitic Tip or Vmax will provably match it and for the 155gr a 130gr like the Speer 130gr SPBT might be a better match for practice. All more affordable options.

Stay safe

Fire forming, ya I'll use anything but any shooting that is for practice you can not duplicate the wind drift right with another bullet exactly and that's the biggest reason to be out shooting is to get the wind drift hard wired, trajectory takes little practice but wind is an evolving element right to the shot. This is the first thing that got me with Hammers was making wind calls, took a couple hundred before I got it wired in. Short cutting this will put you in a bad position one day, it's not worth a couple hundred dollars to miss a wind call and put one in the guts!

The absolutes get pushed faster than other bullets their same weight so a lighter bullet will match their speed like @Hand Skills mentioned.

At a $1.00 a bullet average it can be hard to use it as a practice round especially if you shoot a hundred or several hundred rounds a month.

Are you shooting the 140gr or 155gr Absolute? For the 140gr a 120gr bullet like Ballitic Tip or Vmax will provably match it and for the 155gr a 130gr like the Speer 130gr SPBT might be a better match for practice. All more affordable options.

Stay safe
Just be sure to clean your barrel down to bare metal when you switch to the Hammers. Solid copper need a clean bore to fly properly, not one that has been dirtied by a lead core bullet.

I am getting a 280 AI, plan on shooting the absolutes from it. Are there any 7mm bullets that would be good to practice with for a cheaper shooting load? Load suggestions are welcome....I have over a pound of R19 that I hope will work for my practice load. I also have a mostly full bottle of 7828 but not the SSC version... The private range where I shoot limits out at 500 yards, so probably not much shooting beyond that. when the real work starts I will break out the Hammers.

For me, "Just wanting some loads to familiarize myself to the gun...", I would shoot whatever in on hand or I could get my hands on that would be close to the bullet weight and design that you intend to hunt with once you are familiar with the rifle. I have to say that I have come up with some really great loads with practice bullets that I never intended or thought that would shoot good, and.....they did!! I shoot Barnes bullets because I simply cannot afford the Hammer bullets. For me the Barnes are getting the job done, that's what I can afford and...that's what I am hunting with. I have been using Nosler ABLR in the .270AI to develop loads with and hunt with the Barnes 129gr LRX BT to hunt with. Good luck with the .280AI, good cartridge with a good bullet selection.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts