Bullets separating from cases in the action

Another way to inspect a bullet to see if it is contacting the lands or carbon is to polish it with fine steel wool. Then use a magnifier to view bullet ogive area for marks on jacket. You can see individual land marks as small equally spaced rectangular or square marks. I would imagine if there is carbon making contact there would be a circular mark on ogive area. Let us know what you find.

Do the sharpie trick.

I would load another the same way, as a dummy round obviously, and totally cover the bullet in sharpie. Then load and unload, which may take a few times, until you repeat the problem. There should be a ring on the bullet where the sharpie has rubbed off if it has contacted the lands.

Measure the necks outside diameter before and after seating bullets. Whats the difference.

I would think you could feel a harder than normal bolt closure if it is jamming the bullet enough to pull it upon opening the bolt. the sharpie trick should show contact. Your COAL is kind of short as most 6.5x284's are on a medium or long action.
This better not be a creedmor ....LOL

I had two bullets separate from the cases IN the action as I was unloading while hunting and dumped powder in the chamber and action. Using new Lapua brass for my 6.5x284 with Hornady match dies, Berger 140 gr. Elite Hunter. COAL at 2.920 is WAY off the lands at 0.095 so I can't understand why it would get stuck in the chamber. My loaded case width is 0.292 and I'm using the 0.289 bushing. My fired case width is 0.295 but this is new brass. Should I get a 0.288 or 0.287 bushing? Temperature was around 10 degrees. Is it possible that the cold Temps could shrink bullet and cause it to separate from the case? I've never had this problem before in any caliber and I'm stumped as to what is causing it.
I'm betting that you have bumped into the lands.....or perhaps a carbon ring has formed just enough to grab the bullet.?

My 26" proof..i get about 25 rounds down the barrel before things go crazy...takes 5 to get it to shoot...then clean again...

When you say, "in the action," what exactly do you mean? If they are separated in the magazine and have not been in the chamber you should investigate adding a slight crimp or a bit more neck tension. If they are separated upon withdrawing a loaded round from the chamber you very likely have a carbon ring that needs to be dealt with.

I would think you could feel a harder than normal bolt closure if it is jamming the bullet enough to pull it upon opening the bolt. the sharpie trick should show contact. Your COAL is kind of short as most 6.5x284's are on a medium or long action.
This better not be a creedmor ....LOL
I had to shorten the COAL to relieve pressure. Its a Christensen and the barrel is really tight and had pressure issues with even medium loads.

I think the only way to prove if my idea was/is correct would be to take some rounds, loaded exactly as before, load the gun up, and shoot a few rounds. Then take the remaining rounds out of the mag, (manually), and measure CBTO to see if they "grew". This is never a bad exercise to perform in any case, as rounds "growing" can lead to unexpected/unexplained pressure events.

Vettepilot

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.