Bullets separating from cases in the action

Lazyace

I had two bullets separate from the cases IN the action as I was unloading while hunting and dumped powder in the chamber and action. Using new Lapua brass for my 6.5x284 with Hornady match dies, Berger 140 gr. Elite Hunter. COAL at 2.920 is WAY off the lands at 0.095 so I can't understand why it would get stuck in the chamber. My loaded case width is 0.292 and I'm using the 0.289 bushing. My fired case width is 0.295 but this is new brass. Should I get a 0.288 or 0.287 bushing? Temperature was around 10 degrees. Is it possible that the cold Temps could shrink bullet and cause it to separate from the case? I've never had this problem before in any caliber and I'm stumped as to what is causing it.

Sounds as though you have plenty of neck tension. The bullet must be hanging in the lands or possibly a dirty throat. Abullet may be clear on a clean throat but some carbon could hang it up. Had this very problem once and needed to back the bullet up a few thou. Problem cured. Keep us posted on your findings

I can't think of any mechanism to pull the bullet from the case when unloaded, except that the bullet is stuck into the lands, a burr, or a carbon ring in the throat. Are there any marks on the bullets that might indicate what's grabbing it?

Shrinkage is highly unlikely regarding neck tension. Ran a quick calc on engineering tool box, and 100° change in temp might shrink a 30 cal bullet by 0.0005", but the brass would also shrink by about 2/3 of that, which means the difference would only be about 0.0002 give or take. Not enough to affect neck tension regardless.

Don't think he's using an expander since he said he's using a bushing die
very possible but i have seen a lot of guys use the expander if they don't next turn. if far from being an expert at any of this though.

it would be easy to pull the die apart and measure the expander and compare it to bullets. I also think the bullet is sticking in the barrel and getting pulled out.

very possible but i have seen a lot of guys use the expander if they don't next turn. if far from being an expert at any of this though.

it would be easy to pull the die apart and measure the expander and compare it to bullets. I also think the bullet is sticking in the barrel and getting pulled out.
If you use an expander all with a bushing you are defeating the point, doesn't mean people don't do it though

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.