Bullets for 300 RUM load?

huntxtrm

I have been loading the hornady 180gn BTSP interlocks. I just cant seem to get good performance from them. I load to sami oal. With retumbo, starting from 91 gn's to 96.5 gn's. In .5 gn steps. best I have gotten is .75 groups. This is a hunting rifle, but I want to be comfortable out long, with it. I do want to keep my ammo in my magazine. Maybe I should step it up to 200gn bullet? Different brand? Maybe different loading technique? Or keep pushing up on my powder? I have not had any pressure issues yet. Rifle is a pretty much stock browning Abolt, with the addition of a after market muzzle brake. and a timney spring kit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

All these are great ideas.

I load for 3 300 RUMs.

Target: 210 Berger VLD.
My hunter: 200 LRX but not working yet. Remington Premier Ammo 300 Remington Ultra Mag 165 Grain Copper Solid is working great. I think it's a 165 GMX. Even if it's not the BC and ballistics match the GMX.
My buddies Christensen: 180 TTSX, devastating to 1000

To consider in the hunting jacketed lead core: Accubonds, Berger Hunters.

If it doesn't shoot, try going faster. With RUMs that works a lot of the time.

My favorites in the 300 rum are the 200 gr accubond and the berger 230. I have run both of them in 5-6 different rifles with great success

That 1/2" moa or below is what i'm looking for. With good grouping down range as well. Would the 200+ gn bullets benefit more at distance?

What about sizing. I have been full length sizing. Should I "Fire form" the brass, then reload it, neck sizing only? I have read different opinions.

That 1/2" moa or below is what i'm looking for. With good grouping down range as well. Would the 200+ gn bullets benefit more at distance?
They absolutely will, with more energy and less drift.

What about sizing. I have been full length sizing. Should I "Fire form" the brass, then reload it, neck sizing only? I have read different opinions.
You will hear different opinions on this, I neck size to save my brass, some say its more accurate.
But there are alot of competitive shooters tha full length size. I also do because the best group I ever shot was with neck sized brass, so I never switched..

They absolutely will, with more energy and less drift.

You will hear different opinions on this, I neck size to save my brass, some say its more accurate.
But there are alot of competitive shooters tha full length size. I also do because the best group I ever shot was with neck sized brass, so I never switched..

I only have the one 300 RUM Rifle. I think I will give neck sizing a shot with some 200+ Gn lead. can I use my normal dies for necksizing? Or do I need to by different dies?

You need a neck die to size just the neck. You can partial full length size which will work the brass less than full length sizing. Its basically sizing the neck and the case body but not setting back the shoulders. You can set up your FL die by taking a candle and lighting it, and hold it on your case neck and shoulder it will turn black.
Then turn your FL die until it only removes the carbon from the neck and not the shoulders. I have all of my FL dies set up this way.

Might want to consider the Berger 185gr Classic Hunter. It was specifically designed for use in SAAMI spec applications. You can read a little more about them here: Lines and Designs | Berger Bullets .

Would these be considered a long range bullet? I'm not necessarily looking for speed, mainly accuracy out to 1000 yards, with knockdown power for Elk.​

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts