Bullets and not so long range

velvetant

I know the benefits of a high BC bullet at long range.
Just wondering how much of a difference I would notice at 700 yards with a BC of .510 vs .610 in my 6.5 Creedmoor.
I ran the numbers on a ballistic program and it doesn't seem like much.
But I'm also guessing at the velocities I would be getting with the lighter/lower vs heavier/higher BC bullets.
I can get 1000 Berger bullets for about $400 vs 1000 Hornady for about $250

Just guessing what bullets and velocities I see a 1 moa windage advantage to the 140 vs what I'd guess is around a 123gr Hornady.

Ronin
Marmots, bunnies, coyotes and punching paper.
Not a competition shooter
Norther Nevada can be windy at times.
Big
You got the weights spot on. That's about what I came up with.
And the extra money will allow more components and more practice.

I know the benefits of a high BC bullet at long range.
Just wondering how much of a difference I would notice at 700 yards with a BC of .510 vs .610 in my 6.5 Creedmoor.
I ran the numbers on a ballistic program and it doesn't seem like much.
But I'm also guessing at the velocities I would be getting with the lighter/lower vs heavier/higher BC bullets.
I can get 1000 Berger bullets for about $400 vs 1000 Hornady for about $250
Start comparing the two with 5, 10, and 20mph winds.

It's not just about how much drop the program shows you, it's also about bucking the wind and consistency.

Higher BC bullets are inherently more accurate all else being equal and certainly handle wind much better.

The also retain their velocity and energy better down range.

Wildrose
That's all I usually look at, the Creed is no laser and drop is easy to calculate.
Even with my Kestrel wind still gives me problems.
Will probably end up with Hor [email protected] BC driven at about 2800fps.
Anybody know it that's the true BC?

Thanks

Start comparing the two with 5, 10, and 20mph winds.

It's not just about how much drop the program shows you, it's also about bucking the wind and consistency.

Higher BC bullets are inherently more accurate all else being equal and certainly handle wind much better.

The also retain their velocity and energy better down range.
I've always found Hornady's BC's to be pretty accurate.

You might also want to give the Swift Sirocco II a try. Very good BC and I really like how they perform on game out of my .260.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts