Bullet??????

I respect you for posting this and you have asked a darn good question. Anyone who has NEVER lost an elk and has hunted a lot of years, probably has not shot many. I lost one one time back in '09 (I think) because I used the wrong bullet for the distance I was shooting. Mine was the opposite (no expansion) I felt pretty bad about it but posted it anyway because, like you, I felt it was important. 90% of the guys were very supportive and a couple who likely didn't belong on the forum were not. I have learned a lot on this forum and occasionally might even have something to offer. That is what it's all about. I am not personally picking on you and I do not think anyone else is either; Especially Bigngreen.......Rich

Well said Rich! I too am constantly learning from real world experiences of our many LRH members that are always willing and able to share a helping hand.

Cheers!

Ed

I respect you for posting this and you have asked a darn good question. Anyone who has NEVER lost an elk and has hunted a lot of years, probably has not shot many. I lost one one time back in '09 (I think) because I used the wrong bullet for the distance I was shooting. Mine was the opposite (no expansion) I felt pretty bad about it but posted it anyway because, like you, I felt it was important. 90% of the guys were very supportive and a couple who likely didn't belong on the forum were not. I have learned a lot on this forum and occasionally might even have something to offer. That is what it's all about. I am not personally picking on you and I do not think anyone else is either; Especially Bigngreen.......Rich

I know and I appreciate the replies. I just wanted to let you know I spent about 6 hrs looking over a 2 day period. I am frustrated that after all the advanced ballistic that we have now that the bullets haven't keep up with the rifles capabilities. My big thing is in the morning I could be looking over a pond shooting 100yards and in the afternoon on a ridge shooting a 1000yards. I can tell you this We walk in every 3 miles to the ridge where we start hunting 2100' up. I'm not walking back down to change guns. lol

Ok Tell me this, how dose the 210 and 230 fit in a standard magazine box? I built a custom rifle with an extended mag box that I shoot Berger 210 out of less than a half inch 5 shot group at 100 yards. I was going to try the 230 Berger but again Berger says they don't recommend them for hunting. I'm using a standard Remington SPS rum now because It only weighs 7.8 pounds ready to go with scope. I don't see that I'm going to get 210 out far enough to group well. I know the 230 are of the question. The Berger's are just too picky. What OAL are you guys shooting? Are they single shots?

skidooz,
You may have to contact Wyatts Outdoor Custom Rifles and have on of their extended magazine boxes installed in your rifle by a gunsmith. They have a list of Smiths that carry and install their boxes on their sight also. The long nose dimension of the 210 VLD and 230 grain Hybrid target sometimes will cause an issue due to rifle manufacturers not keeping up with new bullet designs. The 230 OTM bullet is designed for use at published magazine lengths. There is a lot of good information in this string by guys who have used our bullets. Animals ( and humans) all react differently when hit by a projectile. They can be dead on their feet and not know it until their blood pressure falls to a point where function ceases even if internal destruction should have resulted in instant incapacitation and death. We cant tell you to use our target and OTM bullets for hunting. What you do is your own business. If something works it works.

ski-dooz,
The guys who's opinions I respect the most have all weighed in on the Bergers.
I feel your frustration with no blood trail though. A couple seasons ago, I lost a beautiful black bear. Shot at about 40 yards with my 6.5 Sherman and a Matrix 150gr (very similar to Berger). I spent a lot of time trying to locate this bear (days), but didn't locate him until a few weeks later as he had began to rot.
Sometimes there are random, weird accidents like this and it's absolutely disheartening when this happens several times. The heavier bullets, with additional SD should offer complete pass throughs and leave your animal anchored right where it stood.
Good luck hunting and don't give up on these bullets as I did. I switched to the Barnes X, but ended up coming back to the Berger family cuz of the devastation they impart on the internals of what I'm shooting at.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.