Bullet Weight for Deer Hunting

General RE LEE

I am about to start reloading the 7mm STW when I can get some powder and primers. I exclusively deer hunt and I am considering 140-150 grain bonded style bullet for the higher velocity and forgiveness on ranging shots out to 300 yards.

What weight bullet do y'all load for deer hunting with the 7mm STW?

I am about to start reloading the 7mm STW when I can get some powder and primers. I exclusively deer hunt and I am considering 140-150 grain bonded style bullet for the higher velocity and forgiveness on ranging shots out to 300 yards.

What weight bullet do y'all load for deer hunting with the 7mm STW?
I use the 150gr Barnes TTSX with H1000. Very accurate and flat shooting. I've used it on deer and elk. My gun is a 7STW Improved

For general deer hunting, I feel the 150-168gr weights will fill the bill.
If ranges are normal, less than 500yrds, then the Accubond, Partition or Speer Hot Cor would be plenty adequate.
If you plan on shooting further than 500, then the ABLR, Berger or, dare I say it, the Hornady ELD-X should be adequate.

Cheers.

I shot a truck load of whitetails with my 7STW. All I ever used was the (non-bonded) Hornady 162gr A-Max. It devastated whitetails at the speed generated by the STW. Shoulder shots would drop them on the spot. Broadside lung shots generally exited leaving a dead deer within 30 yds.

There is no need for a bonded bullet for whitetails.

I don't have one anymore but when I did I ran bullets in the 140-150 range and you would have thought lightning had struck that deer. I miss the old Browning B-78 7mm STW and may get another STW but not in that platform.
I was thinking 140 grain Accubond. Would hold together on a 50 yard chip shot but still have enough energy to expand way down range.

I shot a truck load of whitetails with my 7STW. All I ever used was the (non-bonded) Hornady 162gr A-Max. It devastated whitetails at the speed generated by the STW. Shoulder shots would drop them on the spot. Broadside lung shots generally exited leaving a dead deer within 30 yds.

There is no need for a bonded bullet for whitetails.

I was thinking a bonded bullet wouldn't explode if a shot under 50 yards presents itself.

I was thinking a bonded bullet wouldn't explode if a shot under 50 yards presents itself.
That's my thoughts too, but I think a 140gr is still a bit lightweight.
I have never had good success with fast cartridges and light bullets...leaves me with little confidence.
Big magnums are designed to push heavy bullets fast. This is their advantage.
In my own 7STW, I am running 168gr bullets for everything. As soon as I get my order of 175gr ABLR and 180gr Berger that's what I'll use in NZ in September this year. If they don't arrive by then, I'm gonna use the 168gr ABLR. Going for Red deer and Elk over there.

Cheers.

I have never had a 162gr A-Max explode on the surface of a whitetail and that's a fairly fragile bullet. Even the shoulder shots didn't over-expand. Some of the shoulder shots exited the other side but most did not. Deer went exactly 18", straight down. Fragile bullets and whitetails go hand-in-hand.

Last edited:
In Tennessee a big deer is 180 lbs. I am more interested in the forgiveness of a fast 140 grain bullet vs high KE. I'd like to zero at 200 and hold on hair out to 300-350 and dial beyond that. I figured a 140 grain would have plenty of KE and velocity to reliably open beyond what I would want to shoot.

Also my Sendero SF is not braked and the 140 grain may tame the recoil a bit. The heavy Sendero dampens a lot of recoil to begin with so a fast light bullet might make it even better. I shoot factory Nosler ABLR 175 grain Trophy Grade currently. Expensive and makes one think twice about whacking a coyote due to price per round lol.

Recent Posts